Weather- Rip Trip [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Weather- Rip Trip

10-10-2002, 10:24 AM
So far the forecast Looks like 60% chance of rain on Saturday, with sunny on Sunday..but Windy..... Wind is the problem.. If it's rainy on Saturday but wind down it would probably be a go if there are no TStorms... Keep your fingers crossed and I will stay in touch with Keith.

10-10-2002, 04:48 PM
Just got back in town and looked at the forecast:

Coastal waters from Montauk NY to Block Island RI to Marthas Vineyard
MA to Nantucket MA and 20 NM southeast-Coastal waters from
Provincetown MA to Chatham MA to Nantucket MA out 20 NM-
252 PM EDT Thu Oct 10 2002
Small craft advisory may be needed Fri

Fri Night: NE Wind 20 to 30 kts with a few gusts to 35 kts possible. Seas building to 5 to 10 Ft. Vsby 1 to 2 miles in rain and fog.
Sat: E Wind 20 to 30 kts with a few gusts to 35 kts in the morning. Seas 5 to 10 Ft. Vsby 1 to 2 miles in rain and fog in the morning, vsby improving in the afternoon.
Sat Night: E Wind 20 to 30 kts. Seas 5 to 10 Ft.
Sun: E Wind 20 to 25 kts. Seas 5 to 10 Ft. Chance of rain and fog with vsby 2 to 3 miles.

Keep us posted! As much as I will promise to be there, I would like to not make the drive if I do not have to b/c of potential of becoming ship wrecked..


10-10-2002, 07:13 PM
OK...I understand.. I will be driving down to the Cape around 12..ariving probably by 2 or 2:30 at CAC..Big Dave you can come down earlier..Need to know what is Doc Dupre arrival and he needs direction...Here is the story..It does not look good..I will call Keith tomorrow morning... He would go if it is rain and I understand off and on that's not a problem..the wind is..... however, if it's an E ,NE wind we will be on the lee side of the island and I know it could be dead calm... the west side is the side Keith goes down so... I will post again tonight or tomorrow... By the Way Eddies If Craig wants ,he has it...but if not we will have to up the ante to $30 each... stay posted.

10-10-2002, 07:29 PM
John, I will pay for the slot if it doesn't get filled. Good luck this weekend.

Dble Haul
10-10-2002, 07:32 PM
John- Please PM me your cell number. I won't have access to a computer after 6 AM tomorrow, so I'd like to be able to contact you tomorrow night if possible. I won't see your updates on the board.

I'll be checking the board one more time tomorrow morning before leaving. If you leave info between now and then, I'll get it.


10-10-2002, 07:36 PM
OK..I will do so later tonight... don't forget..if it's rain we could still go and if the wind is East North east..the west side would usually be dead calm...wind breaks up on the island...Keith would still need to call tomorrow morning.....Anyway...he has not called me so that says he is not nixing it based on the weather he is hearing now.

Dble Haul
10-11-2002, 04:11 AM
Eary Friday morning......haven't heard anything about cancellation, and based on John's last post Bert and I will be at the causeway at 6:30 tomorrow morning.

Keeping my fingers crossed, and I hope to see everyone tomorrow.

10-11-2002, 05:01 AM
Weather man's been wrong a lot this season, hope the wind is less than the forecast and may you ride the lee to the promised land!

10-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Hmm . . . I still have my Cape Cod Kayak gift certificates. Think they'd let me rent a dry suit instead of a kayak? :hehe:

See ya Saturday morning!


10-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Still no cancellation to this point...I will have to stay in Boston till 8 game... so I will be at CAC 10 to 10:30 pm. So..on or not I will be at the causway tomorrow morning at around 6... I will let you Know by posting if it's off. Correct me if I am wrong ,but the latest forcast has no change in rain but winds are down to 10 to 15 from the NE.

10-11-2002, 02:32 PM
Latest from NOAA

Coastal waters from Montauk NY to Block Island RI to Marthas Vineyard
MA to Nantucket MA and 20 NM southeast-
Coastal waters from Provincetown MA to Chatham MA to Nantucket MA out
20 NM-
***1000 AM EDT Fri Oct 11 2002 ***
Small craft advisory

This afternoon: E Wind 15 to 20 kts early, increasing to 20 to 25 kts. Seas building to 4 to 8 Ft. Vsby 2 to 3 miles in rain and fog.
Tonight: E Wind 20 to 30 kts. Seas 5 to 10 Ft. Vsby 1 to 2 miles in rain and fog.
Sat: E Wind 20 to 30 kts with occasional gusts to 35 kts. Seas 6 to 12 Ft. Vsby 2 to 3 miles in rain and fog.
Sat Night: E Wind 20 to 25 kts. Seas 6 to 12 Ft.
Sun: E Wind diminishing to 15 to 20 kts. Seas 5 to 10 Ft. Vsby near 3 miles in areas of rain and fog.

John, what time will you make the go/no go decision? Sounds like by late this evening. If it does cancel, I can be reached on my cell at 617 290 6873 if it is early in the am. Otherwise, I will be at the causeway at 6am.


10-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Up and down wind reports...I have faith the weather gods will be with us tomorrow :devil:

If not, the tides are right for a possible early AM sortie to a bayside creek or two.

BigDave over and out. John, got your message and will see you around 10:30 at CAC.

Yeep yer fingers crossed everyone! :D

Rip Ryder
10-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Hi John,

I left you some messages on your voice mail and I figured I would also go this route to help save some of the guys from traveling down to the cape. Forecast is for winds of 20-30 and gusts to 35 on Sat. with seas of 4-8 feet Nantucket Sound. Sunday is pretty much the same with the left overs of Kyle coming through.
Just to much for the "Great Parker" to handle.
Unfortunately this was it for us this year. We will have to wait and try agian in the Spring. It is that time of year again to turn in the boat for a Harwich Cruiser.

Thank you and all the other memebers of the forum for your patronage again this season.

Capt Keith Lincoln

10-11-2002, 04:46 PM
Thanks Keith...I will be down tonight anyway and meet some of the guys that have not got the message...I will call you anyway..Thanks for everything this to you later.

10-11-2002, 05:04 PM
If there is a bayside trip of some sort (or even breakfast!) planned please post a rendezvous place and time. Some of us may make the ride down anyway:smokin:

10-11-2002, 05:55 PM
I'm fishing somewhere. Open to suggestions. We could meet at the causeway, refuge or Chatham light for the benifit of those out of touch. I'm in Dennis and was just getting ready to tie some rip fly's.

10-11-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Rip Ryder
Hi John,

Thank you and all the other memebers of the forum for your patronage again this season.

Capt Keith Lincoln

Keith -

The pleasure is all ours! Each time I walk down those steps or see Admiral Ed driving down the causeway I'm like a kid at Christmas. You guys brings us from the land of concrete and asphalt to a land of natural wonders - sand, clean water, mysterious striped shadows, heck I even like having the seals around as long as they aren't getting too frisky with me. ;)

The free rides you gave to the Little Brothers on Father's Day were more then gestures, the kids will remember the ride forever.

The Rip Trips are a special adventure we experience because of you.

Thank YOU Keith, for another wonderful season out on the paradise we know as "the refuge".

It will be a fine day when I step aboard the Rip Ryder again in the spring, bound for another season on the flats. I already look forward to it!

10-11-2002, 06:38 PM
Any of your suggestions are good with me for a meeting place. I will get up early check the posts and see if the rest of the rippers decide on a meeting place and post. We need the ENE at our backs I would hazard a guess!

10-11-2002, 08:40 PM
Quenten and I will be at the causeway between 6 and 6:30am. Were thinking, give Morris Island a shot , then maybe Sunken Meadow, Pamet. Of course were just thinking and are open to suggestions. Could go the other way towards Bass River, etc. or Chapin down towards Chase Garden creek would put our backs to the wind.

10-11-2002, 10:20 PM
I just got down the cape...around 10:30..... I will still be at the causeway tomorrow for those guys that drove down..I hope Doc D did not leave since I was not here at 10.... So, Fred..lets not make it a wasted day...I will be there and we can decide where to go ...out of the may be since there is a NE wind..walking down to the stage harbor inlet..right where we board the boat might be a good place. ...Juro..My sentiments about Keith is exactly as you say......I did not get Keiths meassage until I saw his post. Dave called on my cell phone while I was at my son's football game and I gave him the ews ..but he may ride down anyway. CAC will be open for hot coffee after we meet if anyone wants to come back and decide where to go. All I can say is we should have gone last weekend... I am bummed...It's not like we can go next weekend.

10-11-2002, 10:36 PM
Good Cape spots to hide from the stiff east wind include:

Nauset Beach at Chatham Inlet, Pleasant Bay side - moderately good shelter and should fish well thru bottom of mid-day low provided the water is clean. Need oversand to get there.

Inside (basin / tub side) South Beach from the lighthouse down, my top pick FWIW.

Stage as mentioned, could be a multi species opportunity - another great choice.

Herring Cove to Pamet, down to Skaket might be producing on the lee side / bay.

Bass River inside, Stage Island channel, upriver - good in spring and fall and albies make the run into the area often.


Yak attack on Dead neck from Loop in Cotuit - short paddle, probably loaded with blues.

South cape state park down to wacky should have all three species but could be very windy.

Cape side of the canal down thru buzzards bay gets alberts this time of year and the access is good, sheltered coves and beaches.

Wherever you decide, GOOD LUCK!

10-12-2002, 03:13 AM
I will be at the causeway by 6:30

10-13-2002, 08:01 AM
Doc Stayed over Friday night and It was good to put a face with a name...Doc..Thanks for the bottle of wine and a bueatiful Flatwing. Didn't know you were such a great tyer... We left to meet anyone that showed up at the causeway and met Fred, Double Haul, Bert, JBasser and Quentin. Fished Morris Island until 1 ..No Luck, although fred did pick up aschoolie...Crowded also .Lots of other fly Guys...Doc and I thought we saw one guy bring in a FA...but not sure.... Double haul and Bert left to check out other areas...Fred, JBasser, and Doc went back to CAC for lunch. Doc and I stopped at Fishing The Cape to get some tying stuff and discovered that Bob Benson had just sold the shop to some guy from Hawaii. I decided to go home that evening and Doc drove up to Scituate to visit his mother...Quentin stopped by CAC later... We meet a Flyfisher from Virginia named Lew Armistade....Doc askes if he is related to the confederate General...And the guy is...Participates in Gettysburg Memorial services representing his family...The General, as you might recall was the corp. commander who broke though the Union lines at Picketts charge. The Union General at the break was Hancock...and both were friends and classmates At West Point. Anyway..told him about the site...hope he registers. Armistade was killed at the Charge.

Doc Duprey
10-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Well, by Sunday PM there was sun shining on us at Nauset. JBasser and I joined Tod Murphy and Kenny Abrames for some flat-wing fun. No fish to show for it, but great to see Nauset and start to learn it, as well as watch JBasser throw an entire fly line with his new Spay rod.

I want to thank everybody for making a great weekend! New faces, new places...can't be beat! And the Rt. Hon. J. Morin, Esq. is a first-rate host...Many, many thanks, John. I look forward already to my next trip to "The Far Side".

Best regards,


10-14-2002, 10:47 AM
Doc...don't forget...your on the list for the first Rip Trip in the spring....from the other posts it looked like the bay side did produce for Mark and Bert..Rock Harbor.... Well glad you had a good day at Nauset and poked around the Cape . I will try some long Flatwings...Brought your fly home to study it...