Fly fishing present! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly fishing present!

Smcdermott
10-07-2002, 08:36 PM
My new fiance offered to but me a fly fishing engagement present. Something I could take with me when fishing that would remind me of her. She is familiar with the equipment and knows the pricing approximately and said anything up to the Tibor/Abel range would be fine. There is so much out there and I am not positive that I would want her to be that extravagant given we will be saving for wedding/honeymoon. Any other ideas? I have been eyeing an RPLXI for a while and I hear that some nice customs can be made for around the same price.

Sean

doogue
10-07-2002, 09:17 PM
Sean,

First of all - congratulations on the engagement. I hope that you had a wonderful engagement weekend in NYC.

All I can say is that I have picked up a number of SWFF items on eBay and I have never been let down. I bought a 5 piece RPLXi on eBay for $450 and I love that rod. It arrived as good as new.

In terms of what you should buy - I cannot help you with that choice. I just wanted to let you know that you can stretch your dollar in the off-season if you shop around online.

Talk to you soon...

-Mike

jared
10-07-2002, 09:44 PM
Sean,

Should you decide to have one built, I have an excellent guy for you....generally speaking about 20% of retail...comes w/ the manufacturer's warranty and then his work has its own full warranty. Drop me a note offline if you are interested.

--jared

striblue
10-07-2002, 11:28 PM
Sean...forget the rods..they break and change dramatically over the years... It's alot of money but a nice Abel Camo color reel...her favorite color can picked.... will last you a life time ...and then some... Something to pass on especially for it's significance...Just my opinion.

juro
10-08-2002, 01:51 AM
Congrats Sean! Whatever you decide, that is a very thoughful gift from her. Your o'dark thirties and occasional weekend trips will never be without her in mind. ;)

I am a proud RPLXi owner and love the rod. I like a rod you can really feel load while not being at all soft. Not only does the rod communicate load really well but it recoils quickly and generates great line speed.

Reels are a nice option, perhaps engraved.

FredA
10-08-2002, 07:36 AM
Congrats Sean! I'd opt for the rod that does it for you.

Nick
10-08-2002, 08:13 AM
Sean,
CONGRATS! Glad to hear it!
All the above are great options. Not sure how far you ever got in tying flies...but maybe a nice vice and a bunch of materials and tools? The flies will travel with you when ever you head out fishing!

Nick

BigDave
10-08-2002, 09:05 AM
So I guess a 20" Jones Brothers would be out of the question?

Dave :D

tomd
10-08-2002, 09:16 AM
I'll second Nick's Idea. a Renzetti Master, Dyna-King Baracuda or ABEL vice will last the rest of your flyfishing days. combined with the right tools and you'll carry flies made by her gift for life. Tom D

tomd
10-08-2002, 09:17 AM
I really like my Jones Bros!!! :D

Dble Haul
10-08-2002, 10:08 AM
I'll chime in with a vote for the vise, perhaps even with an engraving on the base. A buddy of mine had this done by a trophy shop that does lettering and engraving for a local little league.

Congratulations.

2HandTheSalt
10-08-2002, 11:46 AM
Get yourself a gold-plated Abel or Tibor, before it is too late.

In about ten years, every spool of tippet material that you buy will be good for a fifteen minute argument about, ' Priorities,' and you can dust off that reel and remember, the good old days.

Before you were married!

jborkowski
10-08-2002, 12:55 PM
How about a Ferrari to carry you to those far off fishing locales?

Shortens the trip which ultimately means more time with the wife.

It's simple really.

Smcdermott
10-08-2002, 01:31 PM
First off, thank you to all for the well wishes and ideas. Doogue, we did have a great weekend in NYC.

So far I am loving the 20' Jones Brothers and I don't know if Ferrai now makes an SUV to tow it with as well. I will have to check into that.

In all seriousness, there are so many great ideas it is hard to choose. I like the vise idea but I got a Renzetti Traveler this spring so I am not sure it makes sense to buy another one. I may hold off and check out whats new at the shows this winter.

Thanks again,

Sean

Doc Duprey
10-08-2002, 07:58 PM
First, big time congrats! Sounds like you found a winner! May the two of you be happy to a ripe old age together...which is exactly what Margie and I are (too) fast approaching!

Second...where can you put rod racks on the Ferrari?

Third...Jones Bros. makes a wonderful gift for any occassion.

Fourth... while the reel is a nice idea in all of the creative permutations so far suggested (and I have saved them all for MY Christmas list!) I like the idea of a presentation-grade vice, like the Renzetti. Get it engraved if you wish. The big thing is that you might wind up with a gift that keeps on giving in the sense that you'll be tying flies for the two of you. A lot to the idea that the family that fishes together...

All the best!

-Doc

tomd
10-08-2002, 11:21 PM
sean, if your anything like the president of the C.A.C. you'll be needing the renzetti master vise in a month or so, so why not get it now? the traveler is a good vise, but the master is a peice of art. or, you could have her buy all the stuff from this page http://www.ultimateflyfishing.com/shop/category.html?categoryid=14 :D Tom D

neac9
10-09-2002, 02:17 PM
Hey Sean,
If you want my thoughts another riptide but on the plate you can engrave "good luck hun" or "get the big un babe" or for the more realistic massages "DONT BE LATE" or 'YOU BETTER BE FISHING"or the ever popular" THE GRASS IS WAITING" anyway good luck and may your wedding go as smoth as your 1st year with a flyrod.
your pal
jerry

Eddie
10-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Sean, congrats to you and yours.
Not sure anything "new" will be coming out this winter/spring, so....I have some ideas on the matter.
Rods. nah, in the years to come they will come and go. You want something that won't be out dated. Some nice Abel Camo pliers and a matching knife. Abel could engrave the date of your wedding on the handle(they do both very nicely).
A primo vice is a nice option too. I like the Abel and the Renzetti Master(hey, they call it the "traveler" for a reason).
For some more $ a bamboo rod would be perfect.
A Tarpon reel(Charleton, Abel, or Tibor would work). Maybe the ultra shallow arbor "Pacific" in Red.

Smcdermott
10-10-2002, 10:03 AM
I am beginning to warm to the vise idea and have looked at both the renzetti master and able on their websites. Initial impression is that the abel is a thing of beauty but the master appears to have more and better features albeit not as attractive. Being a new tier can anyone help with the pros and cons.

I am also still considering a new reel. I absolutely love my Tibor but have read and heard very good things about abel. I am not a big fan of the anodized models and wish they offered just some nice solids. Do they custom engrave the reels as well?

Sean

Eddie
10-10-2002, 06:35 PM
Abel offers any kind of anodization you like. Solid in any color, in any shade. Glossy or matt. You could even have them anodize a drawing or a picture. I like the clear anodized finish they call "platinum". Abel also has nice lazer etching. Call up one of the sponsoring sites and ask them about your options.
The Tibors are every bit as good, but not as many "special" options.
The 8550(? the big configurable) Charleton is another cool option. They are big and heavy(so are big fish), but they are the definition of "special".
I have the Abel vise, and I like it alot. It has a great adjustment to insure a true rotary angle that the Renzetti might not. but I don't know if it is better than the "Master". Everyone seems to love them.

"Where did you get that?".
Beaming with pride, "My mom gave it to my Dad when they got married."
"Your Dad was a lucky man."

Smcdermott
10-10-2002, 11:37 PM
Thank you very much for the help. I went and talked with Scott at the Bear's Den this evening and went over the options. I am very impressed with the Abel reels and vice. He had a Charleton which I agree is a thing of beauty albeit a little out of the price range I would like to stay in.

Thanks again,

Sean

tomd
10-11-2002, 01:21 AM
http://www.outdoorreview.com/pscFlyfishing,Equipment/Vises/Dyna,King,Barracuda/PRD_59587_1399crx.aspx

http://www.outdoorreview.com/pscFlyfishing,Equipment/Vises/Renzetti,Master's,Vise/PRD_59584_1399crx.aspx

http://www.outdoorreview.com/pscFlyfishing,Equipment/Vises/Abel,Supreme/PRD_59592_1399crx.aspx

http://www.ultimateflyfishing.com/shop/catalog.html?catalogid=26