Norwalk / Southport CT [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Norwalk / Southport CT

steelheadmike
10-07-2002, 08:39 AM
Went out of Norwalk @5:30am Sun. Winds honking from the north at a sustained 20knts. Fought 3-4 footers most of the day. What has got me puzzled lately is the lack of bait down there?? Where did it all go? Fished hard and came up empty!! My buddy picked up a skate!!! YUK! After a tireless effort we decided to call it a day. On the way in, between the waves I saw a bit of spray kick up.. could it be ... signs of life?? I killed the engine and waited.. and waited.. I pointed to buddy .. seee there 11 o'clock! Squinting we made a positive I'd.. they were fish. We anticipated small blues but as we drifted they started popping around the boat... ALBIE's ALBIE's ALBIE's!! We tossed eveything we had from spin gear to small Crease flies but came up empty. Although I was skunked it was a great day especially when Fat Albert showed up. Exiting stuff especially when you see Albies that far down in the Sound.

Adrian
10-07-2002, 03:21 PM
Mike

Good to hear about some action down our way. Have you heard anything from over the Hudson way recently? I remember you mentioned that it can get interesting over there in the late fall.

steelheadmike
10-07-2002, 04:16 PM
I am keeping my finger on the pulse of the Hudson as well Adrian. It should open up any day now. I have a few guys that are out almost everyday and when I get the word I will pass it on ASAP. I have a few reports but it's not steady enough to make a big deal about it yet. I'll check again this week and give the Forum a heads up for all those interested.