Boston North Sunday 10/6 ?? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Boston North Sunday 10/6 ??

Nick
10-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Anyone heading to the North Shore tommorow morning for some Truck fishin' or Yak Fishin'? Thinking about heading anywhere from Winthrop to Good Harbor...lotta water, but I'm a late decision maker. ;) Curious if I may bump into anyone. PM or email if you wanna hook up.

Nick

Doc Duprey
10-05-2002, 05:37 PM
Nick,

No joy on meeting up with you...too long a drive from Central Joisey...though next spring/summer, when visiting Mom on the South Shore is another story...anyway, I see that a Yak Attack is something you are considering and I have a question...what is a good yak for such commando tactics? At this point, I'm looking at getting a Pungo, but am still open minded. People with practical experience at the launch-fish-load and move-launch-fish kind of thing may have different perceptions than the more location-oriented crowd. Does this make sense?

Anyway, knock 'em dead tomorrow...and post so that others may live vicariously.

Best regards,

-Doc

jfbasser
10-05-2002, 08:39 PM
Own a Pungo...and over 50 and so is the Pungo. If money is no object go with a Pamlico in the lighter materials such as kevlar

Nick
10-05-2002, 10:30 PM
Doc,
Well as the evening has worn on and grad school has taken its toll, I'm not so sure as to the morning's outcome...but hopefully I won't hit the snooze button too many times.

As far as Yaks, I have an Ocean Kayak Frenzy. Its a starter sit on top about 9 ft long. My Yak theory goes like this. I basically am looking for a platform to get me out a little farther when I see fish beyond my reach. Its fairly light, clean, easy to deal with, stable and what not. Yeah its a sit on top. But who fishes in NE without waders (no comment Striblue ;))? I've got waders on, so I don't 'mind getting splashed. Not the fastest paddler in the world, but I seem to be able to get around O.K. I really enjoy its no fuss no muss abilities. Take it off the roof, put it in the water, paddle. And don't get me started on the fun in the surf you can have with one of these things :eyecrazy:!

For around $300 (before paddle, backrest, PFD) it is a great buy. I can put in on my car (Escape) and take it off by myself, and it gets me closer to the fish :P. If you have any more questions, I'd love to talk more about it...but that's enough now. The early evening cocktails are beginning to take over the keyboard...:tsk_tsk:

Nick