Rip Trip- Need member opinion [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip- Need member opinion


striblue
10-03-2002, 02:07 PM
I will speak to Keith tomorrow to keep checking that we are on. But I have to ask you guys to give me your opinion on this question. We all know that the Rip environs really only allow about 12, etc..give or take, fishermen, and sometimes the hot spots are small... We only do 12 because that's the maximum that Keith can take... My problem is that we have more interest that 12 guys.. I think we could get 20 guys to commit. Since it is the last of the year and mid October...and there are lots of places to fish on the south tip including the near flats and the east side... what if we get TWO boats... to accomodate everyone that wants to go... We might have to do switching at the rip..If it's hot and someone hooks up and lands he moves off to let someone else in, you know ,the usual method...Others can do their own looking... I count atleast 20 as of now and some guys are backing out since they feel they signed the original list last... remember ,I have not posted the usual sign up sheet and would fill the boat with the first responses to the first post.......so...... What's the opinion? can we get 24 FIRM commits... as you know if the second boat does not fill up completely the guys in that boat would have to foot the difference in cost...It's $300 per boat , so we usually pay $30 each ( I know that's works out to ten), but that's been the the process... The clave meister usually goes free..but I will pay my share on this trip....I think it might be a great time to get together as a large group one last time before Winter... Let me know... will everyone who signed on the first post please reconfirm in answer to this so I can start making out the list... I personnally vote for two boats..but I would also have to confirm with Keith...

shadfreak
10-03-2002, 02:27 PM
John
I can only go on Sunday because of a grad course I'm taking. I the trip runs Sunday if not I need to bow out. The two boat idea works for me if the time does.
Thanks for you work on this.
Larry
ps If it does not run Sunday will you be around for another long walk on South Beach

BigDave
10-03-2002, 02:54 PM
John,

Would an additional option be to have one boat go on Saturday and one boat go on Sunday? That way everyone gets to fish the rip and it's not overloaded.

Don't know what the implications are w/keith, etc...just an idea. I would be willing to fish for only the first day to make room for others on the second day.

I am in - personal preference is for Saturday 10/12.

As far as one boat or 2, same day: I think the trip would be more worthwhile if the rip was not overloaded with fishermen.
However I have never been, so will leave it in the hands of those who have.

Thanks again for taking the lead on this.

BigDave

Dble Haul
10-03-2002, 03:16 PM
John- I'm essentailly in the same boat (pardon the pun) as Big Dave. I'll be in the area fishing hard from Friday through about mid day on Sunday, so the Saturday option to the rip is the only one for me.

I also share Dave's ideas about not overcrowding the location, but also will let others who have experience with the rip make that decision.

I'll call Bert tonight to confirm that he's definitely coming.

Thanks.

FredA
10-03-2002, 03:44 PM
I can go either day, my preference at this time is Saturday. 20 to 24 out there seems like a lot but rotating through the rip would work and there's lots of surf and flats to explore.

jimS
10-03-2002, 04:39 PM
John, Two boats to accommodate all that seem to be interested does make sense. It is a big area, and rotating guys on the rip is a good idea. The flats and oceanside can easily handle that number of guys. Further, if Keith has to cancel on Saturday due to weather, then everyone would have the opportunity to go on Sunday.

This reaffirms my commitment to go. Thanks again for setting this up.

Simms

Doc Duprey
10-03-2002, 05:48 PM
John,

I'm driving up from Joisey on Friday afternoon and can fish 'till mid-afternoon on Sunday. Then it's wheels up. Having said that, I am ready to "go with the flow". However, the rotation idea sounds reasonable to me...and may be a bit easier to coordinate than a Saturday trip for some and Sunday for others. Your call, and I will abide by it, thanks.

-Doc

jfbasser
10-03-2002, 06:16 PM
I can only go Saturday. I have no problem with sharing the area on Sat or for that matter splitting the group Sat and Sun as long as I am not Sun. I assume you will be going Sat, incase you need a light:smokin:

JayM
10-03-2002, 06:47 PM
John,

I am still very committed to the trip but will only go one day. I don't think I could handle two days in a row.

I would prefer to go on Saturday.

Jay

Quentin
10-03-2002, 06:54 PM
If you decide to do two boats on Saturday and none on Sunday (or save Sunday for a rain date), then I can make arrangements to be a "definite" for Saturday instead.

Q

Smcdermott
10-03-2002, 07:44 PM
I am afraid I will not be able to make the trip. If things go well, I will be getting engaged this weekend and I want to spend some time that weekend with my (hopefully) fiance. I will probably chase some Albies at least one day in RI but this is probably too much. I hope everyone has a great time.

Sean

Adrian
10-03-2002, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately the 12/13 week-end is out for me - just have to chase Albies in LI Sound ;D

striblue
10-03-2002, 11:18 PM
OK...good points and I think I know how Juro would vote... I will go to plan A...one boat on Saturday and maybe one on Sunday to fit the Sunday guys. I will have to firm it up this weekend with Keith anyway so I will talk it over with him..Thanks for the input.

striblue
10-03-2002, 11:20 PM
OK...good points and I think I know how Juro would vote... I will go to plan A...one boat on Saturday and maybe one on Sunday to fit the Sunday guys. I will have to firm it up this weekend with Keith anyway so I will talk it over with him..Thanks for the input. If worse comes those already down or staying at CAC will be able to fish seveal areas anyway

Jimmy
10-04-2002, 08:59 AM
This may help with the amount of people. Due to a big time mix up at work, the USAR course I must take has been changed from this week to next week.:mad: :( So instead of fishing next weekend, I'll be doing other things. Oh weel. One of these days I'll make a rip trip.

craig
10-04-2002, 09:38 AM
I can do Saturday, already got plans for Sunday.

DFix
10-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Jim - Who knows, maybe I'll be able to join you when you do :(