10/2 Western Rhody Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 10/2 Western Rhody Report

Quentin
10-03-2002, 09:42 AM
Skunked again ! ! ! :rolleyes:

I took a ride to RI yesterday to try to stretch my fly line, which had been tightly coiled on my reel for about two weeks while I dealt with family obligations. Beautiful day for fishing, I just wish the catching was a little better. At least I got my casting arm back in shape :hehe: .

I started at Watch Hill at around low tide. Tons of weeds and a strong breeze made the fishing difficult. I was feeling lazy so I didn't make the trek down the beach. Saw several stripers near the jetty just over the dune, but I couldn't get them to hit. I thought this was supposed to be easy in October :confused: . After lunch I headed over to Quonny just before the tide started flowing in. Shortly after the tide got moving, a few albies made a brief appearance and one lucky angler caught one further out in the breachway. I had a couple chances but no takes. The fish disappeared as fast as they arrived, so I took a ride to Weekapaug to check that out. Lots of fly fishers, lots of gunk in the water on the outside of the jetties, not many fish. The bait erupted a few times along the inside of the east jetty, but the predators were most likely blues not albies. Took another ride back to Quonny and saw no action, so I headed back to Watch Hill to see if the stripers would cooperate as the sun was setting. Nope. I saw one fish break in a school of bait that was well out of range of the shore or jetty, but that was it.

Hope you guys do better this weekend. I'm still hoping to make it down on Sunday so maybe you can show me how it's done :hehe: .

Q

GregD
10-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Hi Quentin,

Thanks for the report about conditions and the challenging fishing. Sounds like it was still a nice day out. Perhaps the fish will cooperate alittle more when we arrive. ;)

Think you can get away to join us?

Greg.

fliboy
10-03-2002, 08:09 PM
Quentin - is there still a ton of bait in the breachways?

Quentin
10-04-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by fliboy
Quentin - is there still a ton of bait in the breachways?

Lots of bait in both the Quonny and Weekapaug breachways. Dense schools of small and medium peanuts plus the usual assortment of other bait. I didn't see any massive schools outside the breachways though.

Q