Classic saltwater #10-- Simple One (White) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Classic saltwater #10-- Simple One (White)

striblue
10-01-2002, 10:31 PM
Here is a fly from C. Boyd Pfeiffer which claims to be the first fly tied with a 360 degree wrap around the shank so that the silver mylar wraped tube can show though.. This was a great departure from the usual way streamers were tyed. This was tyed in many colors.

striblue
10-01-2002, 10:50 PM
Here it is:

Adrian
10-02-2002, 08:49 AM
John

Bob Popovics has resurected interest in this general idea. He starts with a tail of bucktail, then places a 360 degree flare in the middle or the shank and another at the head to create a Bucktail Deceiver. Flash can be added and colors blended or segmented. You can vary the profile of the fly by initialy flaring the bucktail (pulling tight on the thread) wide and then winding back towards the bend with a few looser turns to reduce the 'flare' to the width you want. Very simple, they look great and the fish like 'em too (inluding albies!) I would post a pic but the digicam is still on the blink.

:smokin:

striblue
10-02-2002, 09:30 AM
Thanks Adrian..Yes..the Hollow fly...I watched him tie one at the Fly show and have a couple posted in these achives with photo's. going back to last winter.

striblue
10-02-2002, 09:35 AM
Thanks Adrian..Yes..the Hollow fly...I watched him tie one at the Fly show and have a couple posted in these achives with photo's. going back to last winter.