Stage Harbor / Morris Island 9/22 Albie [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Stage Harbor / Morris Island 9/22 Albie

JayM
09-30-2002, 05:22 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting this reportů but I had to wait for the photo. This happened on Sunday, 9/22 at the mouth of Stage Harbor / Morris Island.

The day started off poorly when we realized that the Rip Ryder ferry was not operating due to the fog. Not wanting to go home without fishing, several of us fly fisherman headed out along the bottom of Morris Island and explored a number of areas. Having never fished there before, I did some additional wading of the flats and was the last to reach the Stage Harbor channel. Just after my first cast, Mr. Tuna (false albacore, albie, fat albert) showed up in force (schools of 5+) driving the bait onto the sand. I quickly changed flies and cast into the next blitz. Sure enough, before I knew it, the line was flying off the reel! My first albie.

Tried to post the pic here but could not get it to work. Click on:
http://geocities.com/muelhoefer/saltwaterflyfish
(If anyone can let me know how to get the pic to post correctly, I will edit the message.)

The first run was about 100 yds with me trying to tighten the drag. 100yds of line in about 10 seconds. I eventually turned him, but he quickly decided that the fight was just begining. So, he started another run taking an additional 50 yds of line. At this point, I began to worry about the amount of line on my reel. Walking down the sand to try and get back some line (almost to the spool), he thankfully turned again after a third run. 5 minutes later I had one 10lb Tunny on the beach. Definitely tested my 8wt rod and Redington 7/8 reel to the limit (the drag was not happy). For those interested, I caught him on a Surf Candy with silver sides.

Many thanks to Jim Simms (whom I met at the channel) for playing photographer.

Very jealous of people on the Rhody trip. I cannot imagine catching multiple of this fish in one day.

On another note, the albies did come back and I hooked up a second time (in 2 feet of water) but lost the fish during the initial run. Probably did not get the hook set.

What an experience!!!

Jay

http://geocities.com/muelhoefer/saltwaterflyfish

DickIvers
09-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Jay,

Congratulations on the Albie catch!

I can attest to the whole story because I was the third FF in the trio who hiked to the inlet that morning. I also had several excellent shots at Mr. FA, but alas did not hook up. Prior to your arrival at Albie Alley I did land four smallish stripers.

Guess what? This coming Sunday will have the same tide as that fatefull day. Maybe it will happen again!

Dick

jimS
09-30-2002, 08:37 PM
Jay, asesome! After you hooked up, landed your fish, I had my shot at another pod, but in the excitement, I shot too much line on my backcast and it landed in foul looking mess on my forward cast. Guess you saw it. anyway, congratulations on handling the fish like a true veteran. Excellent job.

Went back there two days later. Bass were crashing bait below the sandbar. Three casts, three fish. Landed nine in that area. All were 24-26 incehs. No albies on the bar.

At home now in PA; however, will be back the week of 12 October. Keep in touch.

Simms

striblue
10-01-2002, 12:49 AM
Dick Ivers..... Dick Ivers.....hhhmmmmm.... that name sounds familiar.... Where the heck have you been???? I will have to ask Fish Hawk......

Nick
10-01-2002, 08:09 AM
awesome pic!

Nick

striblue
10-01-2002, 09:22 AM
Yes, I was not able to open the pic last night...but love seeing the fish and the location.

CSJ60
10-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Jay

Nice fish - Got a chance to fish a couple hours this past Saturday. I did manage to catch 8 bass, mostly 16" - 24" and one 28". Same thing Sunday 7 more bass this time two @ 30". :smokin: