Fly Fishing Forum banner

Washington Fly Tier's Roundtable?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
More than a year ago, Ronn Lucas started holding monthly tier's roundtables at his home outside of Portland, OR. I was one of the original members. Although my schedule did not often allow me to attend I enjoyed the get togethers and miss having them available here in the Seattle area.
Are there any Washington tiers wou would be interested in a regular get-together?
Here's the deal: we'd get together once a month on a regular day (for example, the second Tuesday) at one of the members homes. One member could colunteer to host it (I'd be willing to do it at my home in Duvall), or we could rotate.

Some months there would be a theme, some months a member to demonstrate something they're particularly good at or interested in, and some months we'd just get together and tie.

What do you say?

Stu

#3 ·
Update

Folks,
Here's an update. Aaron, aka Speybum, has offered to host the roundtable on a Tuesday night at his shop, River Run Anglers, on SR203 in Carnation. This location has several advantages, including the fact that there are materials for steelhead slies available in the shop, and that Aaron has several vises, so we could accomodate a newbie or two.

I'm proposing that we give this location a try, starting the first Tuesday in November (Nov 5, Guy Fawkes Day).

If you're interested shoot me an email at stu@farnham.ws.

Stu

#4 ·
Snoqualmie Valley Fly Tier's Roundtable is on!

Looks like we have hit critical mass!

The first roundtable will be Tuesday, Nov 5 at RiverRun Fly Shop on SR203 in Carnation.

Tiers of all types of flies and all experience levels are welcome. Please let me know if you plan to attend so we have a headcount and can have spave for everyone who shows up.

Bring your own tools & materials. There may be a couple of extra vises around. Some materials, mostly for steelhead flies, can be purchased at the shop.

Stu

#5 ·
If I lived out there I would be there.... a great idea.... hope it turns out great... Stu, you should e-mail Juro or Sean and figure out who should be a moderator on the salmon steelhead Fly archive...there is none now and it would be a positive thing to start building up that board. Just a thought.

#6 ·
Good idea, we need moderators.

I should clarify though that in 2003, the moderator role will change. There will be an expectation for really looking after the topic, taking action and following up where necessary - as well as tangible benefits for taking the trouble. I haven't worked out the details yet but it will involve real responsibilities and great rewards.

It will be a little more involved than it has been in the past.

#11 ·
Next meeting December 3

We had a great turnout this month. Next meeting is Tues. Dec 3 at 6:30 at the River Run Fly Shop in Carnation.

I will be bringing samples of various spey hackles and demonstrate stripping Peahen tail feathers and coque tail feathers fur use as spey feather.

I'm hoping someone will teach me how to whip finish by hand.

See y'all there.

Stu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.