Semper Fleye-later version [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Semper Fleye-later version

striblue
09-28-2002, 11:26 PM
This is the Semper Fleye tied by Popovic and in "Pop Fleyes". The version in the book is pink red..but I have been working with Aqua green lately...You can see the evolution of this fly from his earlier work in the other thread. The Hackles are tied around a tail of Bucktail and the hackle is tied around the shank one by one covering 360 degrees. A different color green is tied to the head and palmerd forward making sure the hackle bends toward the tail. The head is just cemented without eyes or flash to the body. As pointed out earlier by someone else the spelling is different "Fleye" instead of "Fli"......3/0 hook...mustad signature.

joe wojtan
09-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by striblue
This is the Semper Fleye tied by Popovic and in "Pop Fleyes". The version in the book is pink red..but I have been working with Aqua green lately...You can see the evolution of this fly from his earlier work in the other thread. The Hackles are tied around a tail of Bucktail and the hackle is tied around the shank one by one covering 360 degrees. A different color green is tied to the head and palmerd forward making sure the hackle bends toward the tail. The head is just cemented without eyes or flash to the body. As pointed out earlier by someone else the spelling is different "Fleye" instead of "Fli"......3/0 hook...mustad signature.

John
This has to be one of your best yet, I'm going to try tying this one, but one question before I start, how many hackels to you tie around the entire shank,??
I realy enjoy seeing your stuff.
Joe :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

striblue
09-29-2002, 01:11 PM
Joe..thanks.... I used 6 hackles..be sure they are evenly spaced around the shank of the hook...like one on the bottom, one on top with two on each side..(not on top of each other). The bucktail helps with the set of the hackles..also be sure the hackles bend toward the middle ...no flare as in a squid fly. You can bend the palmered hackle toward the back by simply tying down each application of the palmered hackle.. moving toward the hook eye. I did four or 5 applications of palmered hackle...not just one. . Move the thread back until you see the flare going back some what...Then add the next . always moving each application after the other..not on top of each...toward the eye of the hook. This is a nice delicate fly.... but the shape of the tail gives it body. Good luck..use the same colored thread as the general color.