PI Report...Flounder on a Fly? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: PI Report...Flounder on a Fly?

DennisS
06-16-2001, 07:10 PM
Fished the beachfront this morning around 6:00am for a couple of hours. Fairly slow, picked up a few schoolies before it turned. I continually hooked up with small Flounders in the wash... A first for me, is this fairly common? DennisS

grego
06-17-2001, 11:44 AM
I've had that happen a few times while dragging a clouser slow & deep. I've caught large shad minutes after landing a striper. I've seen Bass & Blues drive tinker Macs right up on the beach. Recently saw a bait guy with a huge Rod Bend, so I kept watching him; he ended up landing a Huge Skate! That area can be a real Smorgish-board (sp?).

juro
06-18-2001, 08:55 AM
I get fluke all the time on the fly, sometimes even in the first few feet of a deep channel. I assume they come up off the bottom to feed on baitfish with those gnarly teeth and grab the fly. Biggest was nearly 5lb just inside Waquoit Bay on the east shore where the albies bust. It was *delicious*!

Norm M
06-18-2001, 10:36 AM
Plum Island sand flats are loaded with small Windowpane Flounder. Hold them up to the light, you can see right through them. They are fairly aggressive like Summer Flounder but IMHO are not very good to eat, although my father seems to like them. As Greg said a clouser fished deep bouncing on the sand will pick them up every now and then.

Norm