To Clav e or not to Clave that is the Question? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: To Clav e or not to Clave that is the Question?

09-26-2002, 12:26 PM
After looking at the weather report I vote for next weekend for the Clave. So what is the general consensus? Also, Juro will be able to attend . The seas look to rough for comfortable flyfishing. Fishhawk

09-26-2002, 12:38 PM
I like the challenge and don't mind the rain. I like the challenge of stalking the backwaters looking for fish in the storm. If it's just Mike Z. and I I can wait. But if there are a few others in the core I will go for it. Still waiting for everyone to weigh in. I know one thing, I ain't gonna drown. PFD 100%, extreme caution around the surf etc. etc.

09-26-2002, 01:05 PM
I am definitely in for this weekend. Next weekend I have plans I cannot change so this is it for me. Look forward to seeing as many of you as possible tomorrow. I start at dawn.


09-26-2002, 01:21 PM
I'm going with next weekend.
Sorry guys, gotta chase albies.

09-26-2002, 01:30 PM
I will have to go for next weekend myself as well. My 3 and a 7 year old boys wouldn't fare too well fishing with this weather. If it were just me I know between the groups expertise we could find some fish. I might be able to get out for a day or so by myself if it's decided for this weekend anyway.


09-26-2002, 01:55 PM
As I said, I'm there for sure. As Lefty said, it has now become a challange to our skills at survival as well as finding fish. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve which I wouldn't post here. Only those who show up will benifit. ;^]
Heck, I'll probably show up next weekend for a day trip too!

09-26-2002, 03:32 PM
The 3 Esteys will be there sans boat. I have a funny feeling it will be a sit around camp affair though.

09-26-2002, 03:53 PM

Everyone may want to check this link before venturing up or down to Rhody this weekend. It could be real good but more than likely will be a blow out. I am taking a wait and see approach as to this weekend and will decide what and when probably last minute.

Mike M.

09-26-2002, 04:56 PM
Well guys...

I was going to go but after a look at the marine forecast I am out. I cannot fish on Sunday so it is just Saturday for me anyway.

I am going to chase stripers closer to home.

Sorry to back out. Will pay for steak if it is already purchased.


09-26-2002, 05:15 PM
I'm doubled booked this weekend so I can't make it at all. Well maybe a cameo appearance around the campfire if that's possible.

Next weekend (Saturday) I have the annual Grego Tuniod Slay. Jim remembers seeing last years footage when the bait was pinned in the Harbor of Refuge for six hours. Fabulas fishing for false albacore, bass and blues. Conditions just happen to be right, but you needed a boat to cast not to fight the wind. That could happen this weekend but I have doubts with the prolong length of winds.

Those who venture this weekend could fish Salt Pond, Harbor of refuge, breachway ponds. and the Narragansett shore line including Narrow River. Moving the tribe to the upper bay for bluefishing might be wise but this may create logistical problems.

I need to be flexable with the weather conditions with my clients. First thought and primary plans were South County shore. But if the weather hold out like planned, it might be upper Narragansett Bay.

If anyone, Art, Striper, Slinger, etc need helpful information on relocation due to weather just give me a buzz.

Anyway changing the clave to next weekend may be good for the weather, but bad timing for people schedules.

09-26-2002, 08:14 PM
Geez the weather reports are all over the place.

One says: SW Wind 25 to 35 kts, becoming NW. Seas 8 to 12 Ft.

Next one says: 15 kts 3-5'

Intellicast wind caast has nothing over 15 for wind.

It's a wait and see storm. I'm psyched to go.

09-26-2002, 08:51 PM
Be prepared....... Might become Spin City if fly rods are ineffective.

Tod D
09-27-2002, 07:31 AM
I'm out.

Work + weather = no fun.

Good luck guys!