Yikes! 8 - 12 foot waves!!!!!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Yikes! 8 - 12 foot waves!!!!!!

09-26-2002, 07:01 AM
Boy do I hate to be the gloom and doom guy, but have you checked the latest marine forcast? They have seriously changed the forcast for the worse! 12 foot waves are not only totally unfishable, they're down right deadly!
Another concern is the high winds forcast. I once had Burligame evacuate the campground because of weather right after I paid for a site. Can somebody give them a call and see what their thoughts are about the weather?
Although sunday seems nice, the surf they're predicting will dirty up the water pretty bad.
Not looking to cancel or postpone, my schedule isn't flexible enough. It's now or never. Just wanted everybody to know what they're up against.
Here's a link to the Marine forcast:http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/box/

09-26-2002, 07:44 AM
I think we should do this another weekend... so I can play too! hehe

09-26-2002, 08:16 AM
I'm no wimp when it comes to weather but that forecast is absolutely ridiculous. I'm packed up and ready to roll but I'm seriously considering postponing my trip until next weekend. Maybe we can call this weekend the Rhody HardCore Clave and keep our fingers crossed for better weather next weekend.

I remember last year we had a storm swell come in and put all the fish down deep. We were marking them at 40'+ in a boat (a Big boat). The day before it was on fire with albies charging my yak and shooting right under the boat like green backed rockets. I have a feeling it's hot right now. Saturday (DEAD). Sunday just as we were leaving there was a flurry of activity just out of the surf casters reach.

Art, I hope this doesn't mess you up too bad.

Things to consider if we postpone.
Cabins - can those who reserved cabins push the reservation until next week?
Steaks - Freeze 'em?:confused: If not, where's the cookout.
Sedative - Oh that's for me, I'm pulling my hair out with anticipation:eyecrazy:

09-26-2002, 08:28 AM
Although I myself am not a part of the clave I would have to agree with Jim on this one. I know all of you must be downright giddy thinking of 4am coffe, smell of the salt, Terns squeeling and diving but given the present Marine forecast I would also say to postpone the Clave. The sound of the screaming drag and the idea of busting Tuna are definately an addictive drug that many have fallen to but is it worth the possibble injury or drowning of any of you? Be smart be safe and more importantly make sure you come home, your families will certainly appreciate it.

09-26-2002, 08:35 AM
Would have to agree, I will be in Lake Michigan surf tomorrow morning casting for fresh chrome, with no waves it appears per the forecast. :D Last week I casted in strong winds and waves, nothing like what you guys are looking at and believe me it was difficult and dangerous on the rocks.

09-26-2002, 08:49 AM
I've reconciled the situation in my head, made the nessessary adjustment to my attitude. It has often been said by certain members of my family [not all female] that I make camping and fishing Extreme Sports. Hardcore is a label I've been comfortable with most of my adult life, and in several different contexts. I'm gonna do this thing!

This is not as irresponsible as it may seem. First, there is still hope for the fishing, especially Friday morning. An approaching storm can trigger some awesome feeding frenzies. During tropical storm Danelle some years back, I enjoyed a virtually non-stop 12 hour blitz at Watch Hill Lighthouse. Some of the worse weather I've ever been outside in, and some of the best fishing.
To put the weather into perspective, I inadvertently parked my Fairmont nose into the wind. At the end of the day I couldn't get her started. Why? It rained so hard, and the wind blew so hard that water was blown horizontally through my grill and soaked my distributor cap!
To put the fishing in perspective, often throughout the day you could see groups of fishermen just standing around resting and chatting and watching the blues and bass cartwheel through the whitewater. They had caught so many, they were satisfied!

OK, so odds are that won't happen this time, but it could! I won't know 'less I try. Besides, I'm not so hungary any more. Number of fish landed is not what determines a successful trip for me.

As far as camping in bad weather, it's good practice for Real Life. You can either piss&moan and be miserable and be defeated by conditions out of your control. Or you can take charge of your destiny and face adversity head on. It IS possible to remain comfortable with the right gear and careful planning. The feeling of satisfaction you get later when you realize "I survived that, and it was FUN!" makes it worth the effort. It's also a valuable lesson to my young son. Self relience, perserverence and respectful awe of nature are qualities I rate highly.

So the fishing might be good, great or non-existant. One thing we know for sure, it'll be interesting and exciting. Every New Englander should witness 12 foot surf [from saftey] at some time. It's good to be reminded that Man, with all his knowedge and technology, is still an insignificant little organism to the force of Nature.
OK, it's official. The First Annual Hardcore Clave begins at dawn tomorrow. Anybody up for the challenge?

09-26-2002, 09:02 AM
Mike I'm up for it!


09-26-2002, 09:06 AM
Another thing to consider is the rain is only day one.

09-26-2002, 09:20 AM
I'm currently signed up for Sunday (phew) - forecast looks good so I'll still be making the trip. Wether or not I launch the yak depends on weather. The inside ponds offer interesting opportunities on foot. Hopefully I'll hook up with the hardcore survivors :D

09-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Count me in, I`ll be there! I may modify my plans for camping. I wish I had a job where I could be wrong 75% of the time and not get fired! I think the weather men are doing thier usual hype job.

09-26-2002, 09:57 AM
I'm partially packed to go, But I too think next weekend could be better. I'd expect all kinds of mung and sediment to be in the water for the weekend. My young boys probably would not like fishing on anyday other than sunday from the looks of the forcast. Even Sunday will likely have lots of mung and probably bigger waves than 1-3 foot if there were 8-12 the day before. I wouldn't expect the sediment to drop out over night either.

Due to time limits and schedule constrants this season I've had to fish on too many bad weather days, and/or deal with poor tide timings. I was looking forward to better conditions and getting out to on the ocean. Sunday looks like the only decent day and I expect plenty of storm debris around.


09-26-2002, 10:21 AM
Waitin to hear the Esteys weigh in. And have we swayed Big JimW at all?


09-26-2002, 12:26 PM
I'm up in the air. Rain, I don't care about at all. Wind, as long as I can cast < 25mph. Dirty water, no good. Huge waves, sort of tough in the yak. I'm going for the comiradarie as well as the fishing, but I only have one weekend I can go nuts and don't want to blow it if odds are no albies will show or I won't be able to get to 'em.

Actually the wind doesn't look that bad on intellicast-windcast but you can see the storm at sea with 20+kt SE causing the huge surf and probably mung. :(
Next weekend could be a complete blow out.

09-26-2002, 12:38 PM
That's some huge surf! :whoa: 8-12 ft down RI sound; 10-14 ft around the Cape outside! I hope everyone is careful out there this weekend.

09-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Bring your Swimmies and Rubbber Ducky