Ever done any cobra(cobia) fishin'.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ever done any cobra(cobia) fishin'....

fishboyicu812
09-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Gentlemen...

I am curious. Have any of you guys ever targeted cobia on a fly rod? I have heard stories about sight fishing for them around oil rigs, bouys, bridge pilings, etc. down south. However I have not heard very much about targeting them in their northern extremes. I had an opportunity to work for a month on a charter boat out of Cape Charles VA this past summer and we targeted this fish almost exclusively. All I can say is that this fish is bad. It seems that this fishery is waiting to be "discovered".

GregD
09-25-2002, 02:13 PM
Well not with a fly rod, But I have with saltwater rods. Kinda fight like a king mackeral, I'd expect a real good fight on a 9 or 10wt fly rod. And they do seem to hangout around buoys and structure. You do find them cruising up near the surface in open water as well.

Not sure they range up close enough for most of us to get a shot at them around here in the MA or RI though. Perhaps of a boat 20 miles out into the warm plume of water from the Gulf stream south of Nantucket.

Do you get them around where you fish?

Greg.

mikez
09-25-2002, 02:19 PM
If memory serves, I believe I may have read an article about fishing for cobia off the Outer Banks. Seems until recently they were under appreciated that far north but a dedicated fishery is developing. I believe the article was slanted toward bait fishing but I do believe sight fishing was mentioned. I'll look around and see if I can locate it.
I do remember seeing cobia caught on one of the cable TV fishing shows. They kicked butt! I'd definately target them if they were accessable up here in New England.

Smcdermott
09-25-2002, 02:30 PM
I read a report a few months back of a Cobia being caught around Millstone in New London. But then again, I think I have heard that even a few tarpon and other species not found in the Northeast have been caught in the warm water outflow.

Sean

fishboyicu812
09-25-2002, 02:41 PM
I do most of my saltwater fishing in the Chesapeake. For the past five years I have had the opportunity to work with some of the finest capt's on the bay. Every summer we generally catch a few cobras(That is what the good old VA boys call them.) while fishing for other species ie rock,blues,trout, etc. around the Solomons Island/Point Lookout area in MD. They are much more prevalent to the south around the mouth of the Bay.(Cape Charles, VA/Chspke Bay Bridge) Due to there relative abundance(This term is of course relative.) in that area, I do believe you could cast to sighted fish when the conditions and fish cooperate. This would require a very calm day and verrrry good eyes.

I believe one of your best chance would be to cast to sighted fish that are not relating to the traditional structure associated with these fish. I believe those fish that are spotted cruising have been subjected to a lot less angling pressure then the few that are holding next to their traditional haunts. I am not exactly sure what the best type of fly to throw would be but I do know they sure do love trout(weakfish), croaker, and spot.

Another technique which I would consider involves a little different approach. Similar to bait and switch but not exactly...