clave weather report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: clave weather report

mikez
09-25-2002, 10:13 AM
Hate to say it Gentlemen, but the weather's not looking to be optimal for seeing speedsters. Lots of East in the winds with gust to 35 knts on Sat. An east wind [including NE or SE] in South County is a dirty wind - lots of weed and mung and if the surf is up, sand. Albies, in my experience anyway, seem to avoid dirty, sandy water.
Hope I'm wrong, but if it turns out that way, consider an alternate plan. If the surf is up but not super-dirty, there should be good white water for striper hunting, especially if we have cloudy rainy weather. There are numerous prime white water spots in the area. Some examples:

Watch Hill Lighthouse - This is a great spot which has provided me with dozens of blitzes over the years and several bass over 20 lbs plus a 32 lber, all from shore. It fishes best with surf tackle but an energetic flycaster can get results. Just resist the temptation to get too close to the waves! Plan to arrive before first light, not just because that's best, but because the parking lot is guarded later and they'll try to rape you for $15.00 on weekdays. $20.00 on weekends!

Weekapoug Fire District Overlook - A great spot for the mobile fisherman with 2 wheel drive. Pull up to the overlook, check for birds, breaks or bent rods and drive away if none are seen. The water here is shallow and loaded with tackle beating boulders, but the bass often trap schools of peanuts or mullet right in the wash and short casts are all that's needed.

The entire west shore of Narragansett bay from Point Jude Light to the Jamestown Bridge - This includes maybe 10 - 12 good access points to white water fishing. Too many to list. Check a map or email me for specifics. This is another area which is great for the mobile fishermen in family vehicles. You can hit most of those spots in a morning's travel and are bound to find stripers in some if not all the whitewater. Blitzes are not uncommon - watch for birds.

Beavertail on Jamestown and Newport shore road - Now we're getting a little further out from the central targeted area but these are some fantastic rocky areas which are loaded with stripers when ever there is reasonably clean whitewater.

That oughta give ya something to use for plan B if conditions don't favor albie hunting. Also, I didn't list the breachways or the sandy beaches, but these too can produce bass and blues in rough weather. I just prefer rocky whitewater when targeting stripers. I personally don't intend to stand there on the West Wall or Weekapoug all day cleaning mung off my fly while waiting for albies which don't show. I'm even bringing my surf rod!

JimW
09-25-2002, 10:38 AM
That's the spirit!

Weather happens, all you can do is make the best of it.

Mike thanks for posting the great alternatives.

How are the ponds during the East winds?

If anyone is bailing out it would be good to know in advance, although I think the steaks have already been purchased.

I say we stick with it and hope for the best.
It's getting a little late to push it until next weekend, which may be even worse weather wise.
How's the group feel about it.

JimW
09-25-2002, 11:02 AM
I will add that Ray Stachalek showed some video of unbelievable albie fishing. The weather looked real sloppy and they were killing 'em.

Ray, Grego, do you recall the wind direction?

Granted Ray's a pro, had a great boat and knows the area very well. I'm not suggesting we take the kayaks into the whitewater.

That video just poped into my mind. Wow!

Smcdermott
09-25-2002, 11:03 AM
I say we keep it for this weekend, although I might be biased since I could not make it next weekend. A little rain and wind never hurt anyone and I don't think anyone will frown at shots for a few keeper bass.

Sean

JimW
09-25-2002, 11:13 AM
Rich, you out there?

Looks like that mother of all tarps is going to come in handy Friday Night.

Lefty
09-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Looks like the Clave just got easier for me. I think I should leave my boat at home(being a small skiff and all). Still heading down Friday am rain or shine.

Lefty

Lefty
09-25-2002, 12:49 PM
Ya but...I just noticed that Isidore, while slamming ashore in La./Texas is already producing showers in the Virginias. Maybe it will be outa here by friday. I think there is a lot of room for era in the forcast. Heck the weather could evan be worse too. We'll know much more in 24 hours.

Lefty

mikez
09-25-2002, 12:59 PM
I'm gonna be there for the duration barring earhquakes, hurricanes or terrorist attack.

Not sure about inside the ponds. It's all boat fishing. There are alledged to be good spots, but they are known mostly to locals who ain't about to give you a tour.

Albies definately feed in rough weather, sometimes are even easier to hook. It's DIRTY water which they avoid. A south wind is a good clean wind which can kick up big surf and great fishing. Put much east in it though and the eel grass, rockweed and purple mung move in making it not worth the trouble, IMHO.

Lefty, FYI, last weekend there were schools of fish [possibly Fool's Albacore] working around the moored boats inside Little Narragansett Bay, not far from Barn Island. That area would be sheltered from an east wind and there is lots of structure.

Oh well, gotta go home tonight and start packing. Can't forget my Mega-tarp, trenching tool and rain gear!

Penguin
09-25-2002, 08:06 PM
THIS...

...good luck...and don't fall in! (but if you do, make it look good!)

JimW
09-25-2002, 09:08 PM
Or this either. Oopps, wrong pic.

JimW
09-25-2002, 09:10 PM
But it Might look like this Saturday or Sunday.

JimW
09-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Maybe even...... This!

Slinger
09-26-2002, 01:23 AM
High tide is late FRi. afternoon at Weekapaug. I`ll be there just after it turns up. I may make the hike out to Napatree Point earlier.
Slinger