Shinnecock canal report.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shinnecock canal report....

fishboyicu812
09-24-2002, 08:13 PM
Here it goes...

Arrived at Shinnecock canal around 10:30 and sat around waiting for something to happen...nothing.....practiced my casting into a 15-20 knot wind(always interesting)....nothing....more practice casting....12:30 a pod of bluefish begin to work and I proceed to catch three and in the process lose a couple of flies....waited another couple of hours and decided to go fish a local trout stream(Carmans River) on way home.

I probably should have driven the extra 45 minutes to Montauk but really did not feel like fishing in a crowd....I had enough of that this weekend on the Salmon River.

Fishing from shore is very different then what I am used to at home. I give those shore bound anglers a lot of credit in terms of the hand they are dealt, limited mobility etc. I guess I will just have to suck it up next time and head to Montauk in search of something a little more predictable.

Juro is right. The start of the fall/winter run for BIG rockfish(Ya'll call 'em stripers up here.) is only a month or so away down in the Bay. On top of that, the sea trout(A good number of these trout are 5-8lbs.) have been hanging around well into November the last few years. Hopefully this trend will continue.

striblue
09-24-2002, 11:13 PM
Nice report...is Montauk very crowded...never fished there and wonder how much beach space you have.I suspect it is a large area...but always wondered if the access is limited.

fishboyicu812
09-25-2002, 09:57 AM
I have heard nothing but glowing reports from the Montauk area for the last few weeks. Apparently the rockfish/blues/false albacore are blitzing the beaches regularly and those willing to put the time and energy into finding them are being rewarded with high numbers of keeper bass. It also seems that with the spectacular fishing comes the spectacular crowds especially with all the mild weather the region has been experiencing.

There is very good access around Montauk both to the north and south side of the point. When the run is in full swing finding backcasting room could be a problem. 4x4 permits are also available if you are so inclined.