Semper Fli [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Semper Fli

09-24-2002, 06:47 PM
Here is a classic old Bob Poplovic be fished high in the water flash... tyed with high quality white hackle and jungle cock feather and eye... Well before the Kenny Abrams era.

09-24-2002, 09:00 PM

the name is POPOVICS.

09-24-2002, 09:42 PM
Oh whatever... A typo...I have it correct in other posts...

09-25-2002, 04:38 AM
I am really impressed with Jungle Cock and now use it for most of my flies. I've not tried it with epoxy yet - hhhhmm.

In the water its not the white that you ntice but the contrasting black. The effect looks like huge black pupils. Fish seem to like it too - and of course it adds a touch of class. :D

Dble Haul
09-25-2002, 08:19 AM
That's a nice looking fly, and it's different from the Semper Fli in Pop Fleyes. To compare, the pattern in the book has a tail of 6 to 8 saddle hackles tied "in the round", and the head is a pair of webby hackles wound forward Seaducer style.

Come to think of it, I think he's now calling this the Semper Fleye, so maybe the newer name indicates that this is a more recent tweaking of the pattern. Either way, using this pattern in black and at night can't be a bad thing. :p

09-25-2002, 08:46 AM
Mark..yes... I took mine from Lefty's book on fly patterns which was an older edition...I like the look of it and reminds me of some freshwater streamers, plus I don't have too many pure surface flys...mostly plug and dear hair poppers.

09-26-2002, 03:22 PM

sorry for the "shouting" on Bobby P's name, but I just couldn't take it any more...(at least you've been consistent about the typo!):)

Anyway, I'm curious that you're referring to this as a topwater fly. From the recipe you listed, I'm trying to figure out what is making it "topwater"? Looks like it's neutral at best or a slow sinker (just from the weight of the hook & materials).

09-26-2002, 04:25 PM
No problem.... Jared..I have not fished it yet and if it swimms like a streamer, you are right ,it will probably sink slow...But.... in fast currents I suspect it will be more a surface fly or a high drift... I can't see it being fished down...I suppose if I drop it in still waters it will go down but those are not the conditions usually.... I mean, I have had clousers bouncing off the top of the water and that's without the line straightning out. I might take a ride up to the North shore early sunday morning or in the eve saturday .