WSC Article in Salmon, Trout & Steelheader [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: WSC Article in Salmon, Trout & Steelheader

rich_simms
09-23-2002, 10:56 PM
FYI- There's a informative article in the this months issue of STS written by the Wild Steelhead Coalition titled "Why Wild Steelhead are Important" it is a enlighting response to last issues Guest Editoral by Doug Rose titled "Wild Fish vs. Hatchery Stock: Any Difference?"

SparseHairHackl
09-24-2002, 12:00 PM
I started avoiding Amato publications years ago (after Marty Sherman was laid off/fired from Flyfishing magazine) and still avoid them because pro-hatchery opinions seem consistently pushed. I'm glad WSC was able to respond.

Incidentally, I went to the WSC web site recently to learn more of what you're about. Very interesting that WSC Trustees include people like Lichatowich and Bakke, but also includes Amato. Sure seems like some different viewpoints there. Perhaps I am off-base in understanding Amato's opinions.

I'll look for the article. Thanks for the heads-up.

Bill

sinktip
09-24-2002, 12:46 PM
Bill,

As one of the current WSC trustees and as the founding president, I think I can answer some questions from your post above.

First off, Frank Amato is and has been a defender of wild fish. He has been quite outspoken on this for some time and just recently in STS reaffirmed his belief that all wild fish should be released. Frank, like many of the WSC's supporters are fishermen though and realize that without hatchery fish, there would be few fisheries available in the Northwest. The trick here is to make sure that hatchery programs are designed and operated to minimize impacts on wild stocks. Global policies have their place but to pull this off, you need to take a hard look at it on a river by river level.

My personal belief is if we do away with hatcheries totally then first, fishing for steelhead goes away and then, second, the voice for wild fish goes away. A delicate balancing act to be sure but one that needs to be found.

As for the broad base of the trustees, this was intentional. When we were putting together the original trustee list we wanted a spectrum of beliefs on what is needed to save wild steelhead. The trustees role is to advise the board of directors and as such myself and the original board didn't just want yes people who agreed with us on everything. We wanted to be challenged by outside the box thinking. Towards that end we made sure that we included those that fell more in the anti-hatchery camp; Bakke, Lichatowich as well as those that were more hatchery friendly, Frank Amato and Dennis Dickson.

Hope this helps. I can't speak for the WSC but I know a number of curent BOD members frequent this board and if you have any specific questions about policy, they would be happy to speak up.

Regards,
Duggan Harman

rich_simms
09-25-2002, 06:21 PM
Thanks Duggan, You hit the nail on the head.

SparseHairHackl
09-25-2002, 06:44 PM
"myself and the original board didn't just want yes people who agreed with us on everything. We wanted to be challenged by outside the box thinking. Towards that end we made sure that we included those that fell more in the anti-hatchery camp <snip> as well as those that were more hatchery friendly..."

I appreciate and admire people who are open-minded and wish to hear all sides of the issues. Personally, I think the resource is always more important than the fishers, but your point that without fishers there may not be advocates for the resource is accurate, IMO.

Thanks for the comprehensive response.

--Bill