Weekapaug to Gardiner's Bay 9/22 (or An Hour late, Fly Short) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Weekapaug to Gardiner's Bay 9/22 (or An Hour late, Fly Short)

Nick
09-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Met Sean at 6:30 on the Weekapaug jetties. Bumped into Slinger in the lot. Both of them headed out on the E. Jetty, while I chose the yak due to the growing crowed on the end.

Ended up getting one blue and getting cut off by something else. I thought it was a big blue, but after hearing from Sean and Slinger that "they" were around, I'm having second thoughts. Leader wasn't too frayed as I look back...

Fog was beggining to lift at this point so Sean and I headed back to Mystic to meet my dad and brothers for a boating adventure. I'm sure Sean won't forget the choas that my family has the uncanny knack of bringing to any situation :D

After a quick call to Striper (thanks Mike for ongoing reports!) we were headed to Gardiners to see what we could find. Fished around the Ruins, nothing really happening, so we decided on Plum Gut. In retrospect, seems as though we should have gone round the back of Gardiners. Nothing in the gut, so we headed on the N. side of Plum. Started seeing some fairly organized birds, and low and behold we see some slashing. Got a few good shots off before they moved on.

Back into the Sluice, and "they" were there again. This time much less organized with breaks sporadiac and all over. Missed them again and decided to buzz around Gardiners to see if the blues Striper had elluded to were still around. No surface activity was noticable, but we continued on. As we neared the inner point, we saw the fog bank rolling in, and decided to call it quits.

All in all, lots of boating, beautiful day on the water, sun burnt today, but no fish to be accounted for. We just seemed to be off today...always either just leavin' or just arrivin' at the wrong time. Somedays thats just the way it goes.

Side note...crab hatch was cranking. Seagulls were around by the hundreds, but all just sitting on the water eating juvie crab's like popcorn. I grabbed a few out of the water. The bigger ones were the size of your pinky nail. But they were perfect little specimens.

Fish are around fellas, hope they stick it out for 4 more days!

Nick

mikez
09-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Hey Nick! I saw you out there off Weekapoug! I was the flycaster at the end of the east jetty. I gotta say, getting a close up look at you bobbing around out there in those swells did nothing for my desire to get into a yac! On the other hand, the personal interaction I had with a disgrunteled surf caster on the jetty made me wonder why I still tolerate the weekend jetty bullshot!

Nick
09-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Those swells were nothing. You'd be absolutely amazed at how comfortable it is in that thing. You don' t really notice it at all. You kinda get into the swing of it and it just becomes normal. My only fear in the Yak is having someone else hit me because they can't see me behind a wave...but the bright orange kinda makes up for that :D. I've actually contemplated spray painting my paddles bright orange so I can stick it in the air if it every gets in hairy!

I think everyone should take a yak and surf in the waves with it. Its amazing the balance it teaches you and the limits that you have in it. I'm not so sure I'd be so comfortable in a SINK, but with with SOT, its great.

NIck

Penguin
09-23-2002, 01:10 PM
Armed and formidable...(Nick & friend)

mikez
09-23-2002, 02:17 PM
Yes, I noticed you were using great caution when the boats entered or left the breachway. I don't blame you, some of those guys go fast!
My next question is; how do you land a 40 + inch striper in that thing? Does he come in the boat with you? Or do you get in the water with him? :^)

Nick
09-23-2002, 03:42 PM
The biggest one I've gotten while in the yak was 33". I usually bring'em alongside, slide the hook out, and send them on their way.

When I know one is coming home as a dinner guest, space contraints do make it time to head to shore!

Anytime you want to give it a whirl, let me know!
Nick

BTW-Pete, isn't that the fish that I thought was much bigger until I realized that he was eating with his tail?

Striper
09-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Nick,
It was a pleasure to finally get a chance to meet you. You did somewhat get to the spot a day late and a dollar short. When you called me the Albies were in full feeding mode and it lasted about an hour or so until we lost the tide. After that we putted around the island. We ran into the blues at the S.E. tip of the island and they were not really showing, I saw a couple of splashes from afar and went over and started casting a popper. That is when the dozens of blues showed their ugly mugs! I caught one and then took the hooks off the popper to have some fun and not have to unhook them. My partner Joe had the digital movie camera with him so he wanted to take some movies of the schools of blues chasing the popper back to the boat. I casted and they chased many of them coming clear out of the water to crash on top of the popper. It really was a sight to see and I have not done the hookless popper thing in many years. We tired of this quickly and continued on around the back side of the island. We saw some birds working in tight to the beach about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile down from the S.E. point so I took the boat in tight hoping for some bass. Well unfortunately it was all blues again, they were in very shallow water maybe 5-7 ft. and you could watch them swimming around the boat. I played with them some more and Joe hooked a really large blue that finally cut him off close to the boat. We finally continued around the island and back over to the Sluice where we met up with you. The fish in the Sluice have been very difficult to fool, even the spin guy's are having a hard time getting any of them to bite. The crab hatch has alot to do with their behavior I am sure. All in all not a bad day but could have been better. We boated 4 Albies between us and many blues as well as a couple of bass earlier in the morning around Race Rock light. It looks like I am off the whole week as the boss emailed me to tell me he did not require my services this week, I will be fishing a little this week and looking for a new job as well. I am going to try and get over to the Gardiners area early one morning to see if there are any stripers cruising around the flats over there. Pine Island area has been loaded with bass and blues as well, we got into them right after launching and I managed to get a hook in the hand right after I had just mashed all of the barbs down on my swimming plug. Man was I happy that I had done that, it would not have been nearly as pleasant removing the hook had the barbs still been on the hooks. That is the first time in 30 years of fishing that I have taken a hook anywhere in my body that went all the way through. I sure hope that does not happen again as it really hurt alot.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Smcdermott
09-23-2002, 06:37 PM
As Nick mentioned I met up with him at Weekapaug for a little early morning jetty fishing and then we headed out on the water with his family. I now know where Nick get his great sense of humor and get everything out of life attitude. His family was a pleasure to be around, very entertaining and extremely generous. Thank you Nick to you and your family. Having not been out on the water in Fishers Island sound I was very pleased that we did not see fish early on because it gave me a chance to get the grand tour. From getting almost bounced off the boat in the Race to beautiful scenery behing Gardners Island we saw it all. No fish, but a great day on the water.

Thanks again Nick,
Sean

P.S. When you show up to work with a serious set of racoon eyes everyone wants to know where you were that weekend and explain to you the benefits of Sunblock. I guess I really should have applied that second coat.

Nick
09-24-2002, 08:05 AM
P.S. When you show up to work with a serious set of racoon eyes everyone wants to know where you were that weekend and explain to you the benefits of Sunblock. I guess I really should have applied that second coat.

I've been hearing that alot as well!

Sean,
Glad you came along, hope to get to do it again sometime. Maybe minus the chaos and plus the fish!

Nick