Say hello in South County [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Say hello in South County

Geoff
09-20-2002, 10:01 AM
Me and my buddy Matt are heading down to South County tonight after work. Hoping to get out around Watch Hill/Napatree and perhaps check out Weekapaug/Quonny on Saturday. Forecast appears to be 2-4 waves with winds from the south so we'll see how the ocean looks. If you see two guys with an aqua- colored kayak please come over and say hello. I would enjoy meeting some more of you guys- unfortunatley can't make it to the clave. In any event I will let all you clavers know how we do.

tight lines

Geoff

Adrian
09-20-2002, 01:32 PM
Geoff

If you stop by Quonny tommorow from about 10 a.m. and see a few guys doing really strange things with even strnger looking rods (double handers) it will be me, Kenney Abrames and a few guys experimenting with spey rods.

Stop by and say hi!

I will have sensible salt water gear in the car and a blue WS Tarpon Kayak on the roof of my Jeep. If the Tunoids start busting I plan to be ready ;)

Geoff
09-20-2002, 02:43 PM
I will definitely look for you Adrian assuming we decide to hit Quonny. I don't consider the spey rod strange in any way and even own a couple myself- one an 18 ftr - a rod my uncle from the UK gave to me. Unfortunately I don't have them in the car.

Ok- we'll look out for you.

Geoff

juro
09-20-2002, 08:42 PM
I wish I were going to be in the area, it would be fun to hook up with you Geoff and watch the salty Spey show! Unfortunately I am limited to a half day due to family obs. Adrian, I look forward to reading your report!

As you know I spent quite some time doing this myself in 1995 / 1996 upon moving back from the pacific northwest.

Say Geoff - what brand 18ftr do you have? Must be an heirloom.

Adrian
09-20-2002, 08:56 PM
Greenhart maybe?

Now that would be a real man's rod!:devil:

Geoff
09-23-2002, 11:39 AM
It's a Bruce and Walker- not an heirloom just yet- but someday. I actually used it once during a fishing opportunity I had in Scotland. The gillie laughed when I took it out "That's for a great highlander!" he said. (OK- so I don't have the frame of a highlander) It is quite heavy to cast all day - especially if you have not kept your casting arms in shape as I had not.

I'm sorry not to have met up with you Adrian. My friend and I went out off of Watch Hill in the kayak and spent a good nine hours out there( I'm going to post a separate report on that) It was kind of choppy but we had fun and caught a few bluefish. We stopped by Quonny later in the day- quite a few people there. It looks like a bunch of guys stay right there in their campers.

I trust you had a good time with the spey casting. Those breachways seem ideal for it. Have you caught stipers, blues or albacore in that fashion?

I look forward to the next opportunity to meet up with you both.

Definitely have the saltwater bug.

Geoff