Kennebec Weekend [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Kennebec Weekend

timwatts
06-13-2001, 05:14 AM
Fishing was good some stripers, smallmouths and plenty of trout rising. But as usual what we saw was more impressive than what we caught. Early friday morning down below savage park I saw some splashes along the shore. In deep water along a ledge I saw a herring making a beeline for the shore out of the shadows come four big stripers slashing at it's tail. The herring swam up and beeched himself on the ledge then flopped back down into the water and sat in a clump of grass so shallow that his back was out of the water. The stripers milled around him for awhile in a couple feet of water but would not go that shallow to get him. When the stripers fell back into the shadows the herring would swim away. This went on for quite awhile they even pushed a ten inch brookie up the bank in the same fashion. Saturday morning we watched a bald eagle float just above a school of big stripers busting herring at Babcocks Rapids while above the rapids we counted sixteen sturgeon jumps a couple which were perhaps eight feet long. Saturday evening while sitting amongst the rubble of an ancient native campsite we saw a thirty inch Atlantic Salmon clear the water against the sunset just below five mile island.

juro
06-13-2001, 08:58 AM
Very inspiring indeed, thank you for that refeshing portrayal of what nature can do when we give her a fighting chance. I don't want to jinx things by saying it but it appears that a world-class fishery and more importantly a thriving ecosystem is re-establishing itself.

BTW - the pictures on the website link you provided were awesome. When I get down about the rape and pillaging of rivers across the country I will have to take a ride to see the newly uncovered reaches shown in the pictures first hand.

Eroach
06-14-2001, 11:36 AM
What an awesome, awesome report Tim, Thanks.