Fly Fishing Forum banner

Getting into bamboo

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  josko 
#1 ·
I'd like to get a nice bamboo rod, something like 7'6" 4 wt or somesuch. Problem is, Idon't know enough to hunt on ebay and am a bit intimidated by the $1500+ custom made rods. Can anyone suggest some way or some place I could cast some to find out what I really like. Any other advice on getting ito bamboo would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
:) Josko I believe most of the flyshops have some bamboo rods, don't know for sure. I have 2, one 7 1/2 ft. Orvis Battenkill, and one Heddon Riptide which to my knowledge was the first saltwater flyfishing rod made, detachable butt, and stainless steel guides. I bought mine in either 1949 or 1950. It has caught tarpon, stripers, and large mouth bass.:D Take my word for it, bamboo for show graphite for fishing. If you are really interested in bamboo take a ride to Orvis in Manchester VT. Cast them in one of their ponds, you might even catch a trout.:D

#3 ·
Josko,

New rods are going to be accompanied by a hefty price tag...$1500 is not unexpected. Used rods can be a good way in, but make sure you buy from a trusted dealer. I have had very good experience with old rods from estate sales...but the dealer was a lon-time friend. The other issue is that 4wt rods are "relatively" new for bamboo. They may be very tough to find. Still, half the fun is the chase...

Good luck, and good hunting.

-Doc

#4 ·
Newer bamboo makers will often sell their rods for around $800.
Also, there are quite a few bamboo rod dealers that have fishable(as opposed to collectible)rods for all prices. I don't know who is in the New England area, but they might be worth a trip to cast a bunch of rods.

#6 ·
Josko, two lower priced rod makers with excellent reputations are AJ Thramer and CW Jenkins. The Thramers go for around $900 and the Jenkins for around $1200. I have a Jenkins and I really like it(8' #5 3pc). PM me for a ph# if you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.