plum island 9/15 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: plum island 9/15

dewey
09-17-2002, 09:04 PM
Hey Folks.
Been lurking on the site for quite a while, but I'll chip in with a fresh report.
I made the LONG drive to PI from Vermont on Sunday. It looked promising with the overcast gloom overhead. Arriving at 7, I fished the entire mouth of the Merrimack area from the boats to the end of the jetty through the out going tide. There were baby bunker here and there, but fish were relatively few and definitely spread out. Birds were mostly calm. I missed a few hook ups. The journey out the jetty was a good scramble, and at the end I got my one fish for the day as the breakers showered me with salt. The fiesty schoolie brought me into the rocks as I tried not to wipe out on the questionable footing. What fun. Another flyguy was doing a little bit better than me. He gave me an olive clouser and that's what I got mine on. All in all, not too bad, but not fast action either. I can't help but wonder if my long drive would have paid off better at another location. Great to be on the ocean for a day for this landlocked fool, though.

FishHawk
09-18-2002, 05:20 AM
Welcome aboard, why not try and make the Rhody Clave? FishhHawk:smokin:

Sprocket
09-18-2002, 09:41 AM
Hi Dewey, welcome.

I usually skip the inside of the river and head from the sand bar and work my way aroud up to the jetty. I've had good luck, especially on the incoming.

Once on the jetty I tend to stay on the beach, again, with good results...

Salisbury wasn't worth the ride today.

Good luck,
TMS

juro
09-18-2002, 01:30 PM
I like the deep kettle just behind the charter boats on the bottom of the tide. Fish deep and move it slow, they'll pick it up in the soft current layer along the sand on the bottom.

striblue
09-18-2002, 01:41 PM
WELCOME!