Boston Harbor [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Boston Harbor

Capt.Wayne
09-16-2002, 06:07 PM
Saturday, September 14, 2002: The fall run is definitely in motion and schools of bass and blues were feeding heavily on peanut bunker all over the harbor. At first light, we found bass along the south shore of Long Island with nervous bait spraying out of the water. There was, in fact, so much bait, that hook ups were not as numerous as one might expect. Still, for Enoch Huang, brother Chris and Chris' wife, Stephanie, the fishing was outstanding. Stephanie caught and released the largest bass weighing @ 14 lbs. on the boga grip. Enoch had his first fly casting lesson and managed to catch his first bluefish on the fly in Quincy Bay where the blues were blitzing later in the morning.

Sunday, September 15, 2002: The rain that was predicted never happened and the 15 - 25 mph winds were more like 15 - 20, so Chris Nelson and John
Stinner from Nebraska joined me for their very first Northeast saltwater adventure. John preferred spin tackle whereas Chris was bound and determined to stick with the fly rod. The boys from Nebraska were amazed to see striped bass boiled on top in shallow water with bait spraying out of the water for deer life. We found bass and blues along the shore of Long Island and further north in the area of Nahant Harbor, Little Nahant Harbor and Bass Point. John caught and released a nice 12 lb. bass on light tackle. It took Chris a while to get the feel of fly casting in saltwater from a boat, but eventually he was hooking up on just about every cast later in the morning. Large schools of blues were on top from Bass Point to the North Channel and not especially fussy about fly selection.

The fishiing in Boston this fall has been nothing short of outstanding and should continue through mid-October. I still have a few open dates left in September and October so give me a call if you're hankering to wet a line before it's all over.

Until next week, we'll see you out there...

Capt. Wayne Frieden