Hey Hey Hey.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hey Hey Hey....

Smcdermott
09-15-2002, 08:55 PM
It's Fat Albert!

Went out in search of the mysterious fish I have read and heard so much about on Saturday in South County. I started fishing about 8 a.m. and spent the better part of the day watching huge schools of bunker milling in and out of the breach way. I finally decided about 2 o'clock that with no signs of fish I should move spots. I got into the car and headed down the road only to find stories of albies that were around earlier but had not shown for awhile. I decided to stick around as their were 3 hours left in the incoming. I took a spot a few hundred yards inside the breachway and sure enough a few moments later they showed and two fellow anglers managed a hookup. Wow, what a sight to see these fish moving fast up the breach busting fish. Up and then down in the blink of an eye. I saw some bait spraying down the breach a few moments later and went to make a cast when my stripping basket came unlatched. I managed to get a cast off and after one strip I was on. Holy Cow! I have never felt anything like that. My line went through the guides with a nice knot which made me nervous during the entire fight. 4-5 75 yrd runs later I managed to get the knot onto the reel and land the fish. With a grin on my face as wide as the breach I went back at it and hooked one more about a half hour later. The night ended about 7:30 after watching a school of stripers blitz a school of baby bunker that you could have walked on for about a half hour. I tried matching the hatch, big deceivers but I could not get them to even see my fly. What a day. Can't wait for the clave....

Sean

Slinger
09-15-2002, 11:08 PM
Sean, give me a call. I`m working on some flies that will be just the thing.
Slinger

juro
09-16-2002, 06:49 AM
Another tunoid virgin bites the dust! Congrats Sean!