cigars and music [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: cigars and music

Jeff
09-13-2002, 12:29 PM
I have loved following the serious topics that have been going on in this site. I have kept my mouth shut as it sometimes gets me in trouble on issues like that but I too believe that we have a greater responsiblity to be good stewards of the environment. And the FF isn't always about catching more or bigger and is about the whole experience which is something I think some people miss.

So on the whole experience topic. When you are out FF what is everyone's favorite music to listen too while in the car or at night and what are some of the favorite cigars.

Here are mine
Cigars Partagas #2 and Avo #2

Music it depends
Normal fishing locally I have the country radio station on or a country CD. Maybe some Dixie Chicks, Mark McGuinne,Mark Chestnut, or even some Garth on occasion.
Down on the North Umpqua it is Blue grass all the way with our Gin an tonics at night.

remember FF is about more then fishing. There are all sorts of strange traditions we have and enjoy.

JJ

Leland Miyawaki
09-13-2002, 01:08 PM
Now we're talkin'.

Bluegrass while driving. Hoyo Monterey while fishing. Bunnahabain single malt at night.

Ahh, what could be better?

Leland.

MJC
09-13-2002, 02:20 PM
I dig the Chicks and bluegrass but when you start talkin in a foreign language about smokin and drinkin yer gettin to highbrow for me. I'll take some Prince Albert and a cold bottle of domestic beer. :)

pmflyfisher
09-13-2002, 02:24 PM
Classic rock stations on my drive in middle of night to Michigan from Chicago, they have some good ones, you know about the Detroit Mo Town. Also have some decent country stations.

Cigars

I go cheap Dutch Masters the little ones, forget what they are called.

Liquor

Old Milwaukee beer and maybe a bottle of red wine. (The Old Milwaukee is for luck, had my best days steelheading 20 years ago when drinking this beer. Now a steelheaders superstition I guess.

Snakes (I know what not in the question, but what the heck)

Beef and deer jerky, michigan has some great stuff. Granola bars and raisins, some mixed fruit

Not much time for drinking or eating since I am usually on the river from sunrise until sunset.:smokin: :smokin:

Then I just crash to sleep and get up at 5 AM to do it all over again.

God I love this sport ! :whoa:

Ol Rich
09-13-2002, 03:00 PM
I listen to the local country station or a CD by Chris LeDeux, Haggard or Willie. Beef or turkey jerky and a porter brew keep the hunger and thirst in check.

Rich

OC
09-13-2002, 03:01 PM
Antena on the old 86 station wagon has been broken off now for two years, lots of static. Tapes are worn out but used to like Jennifier Warrens signing Leonard Cohens " First we take Manhatten then we take Berlin" on the drive to the river.
I bow easy to peer pressure of good single malt and top cigars between 0655 and 0705. And lately I've been bowing somewhat to that green type of feeling one can get of looking down at the water moving by your feet after a fine smoke and shot on a wonderful wet cold winter morning on the river. But they say practice makes perfect so I'll let the peer pressure continue on.

juro
09-13-2002, 03:04 PM
Cubanos when I can get them! What a difference. Thanks to a few members I have come to appreciate this difference.

And there's nothing foreign about single malt if you're using two hands on the fly rod... they might have originated on the very same river!

I listen to the weather, the scores, and then just as soon go sit outside for a while, looking at the night sky in the deafening silence of the forest where the chatter in my brain is louder than any rock concert until the scotch and smoke quiets all that so I can "see" the river with better eyes in the morning.

I am invariably away from family at these times, so the 'music' of the love that makes a family what it is usually plays it's soulful contemplation into the moment. One part guilt, one part blue about being apart, ten parts appreciation for what I will go home to.

I am lucky to have the company of great friends about half the time I go on an overnight, so the flytying, the stories and jokes, the laughs and good times are just as much a part of the experience as the time on the water.

In any case Jeff you are so right - there is so much more to it than just the fishing!

Jere Eshelman
09-13-2002, 03:32 PM
As for music, give me some Steely Dan, Van the Man, and the Eagles.

But really guys I'm into my third day of a tobacco free new Life, and I don't need to think about good cigars.

Fred knows about those things, maybe he'll get into this discussion.

sinktip
09-13-2002, 04:06 PM
Finally a topic we can get fanatical about :D

Music: Hmm, that depends as my tastes tend to be all over the board. Lately I have been on an old Bob Dylan kick while driving through the dark to the river. Throw in a little Steve Earle, some John Hiat, a little Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ era Bruce or possibly some Lenny Kravitz and I am fine. That is this week, next week will be who knows.

I'm guessing that since I just heard this morning that Warren Zevon has terminal cancer that he will be gracing my cd player for a while.

Cigars: Tend to like the extremes here. A nice candela honduran or a spicey maduro. I can't usually afford a whole box so I pick and choose singles or mooch off my more refined friends.

Scotch: Lagavulin or Glen Morrangie Port Wood Finish

watersprite
09-13-2002, 04:06 PM
Well, if it's radio then it's gotta be Motown of course! If it's CD's, then George Harrison and Eric Clapton anytime, maybe the Rascals for early in the day.

Any maduro from Arturo Fuente or Macanudo. Pipe tobacco from Captain Black (Blue wrapper).

A great Dutch beer - Grolsch.

Any good Canadian blended whiskey.

ws

KerryS
09-13-2002, 05:04 PM
Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Carl Verheyen, Frank Zappa.

Don't drink. Don't Smoke.

Jeff
09-13-2002, 05:26 PM
I should have added my booze preference in mine.

Yukon Jack can warm up a cold afternoon and it tastes sooooo good. :D

For after fishing give me a nice bottle of Red Wine any day of the week. In fact we floated the deschutes (8 of us) last weekend and the biggest hit of the weekend was the pepper bridge red. Yummy.

JJ

kush
09-13-2002, 05:26 PM
Cigars... Cuban - Monte #4 or #2 for the evening, or a small Por Larranaga on the river. Scotch, definitely the MacCallan, or Lagavullin, or Bunahabain - geez - I'm pretty open minded about good single malt!

Music: I have a new stereo for the Martini Bar this fall and it is my plan to blast Dana awake at o'dark thirty with fully cranked Led Zep - Dazed and Confused! After fishing I think we'll mellow to Hendrix and Voodoo Chile'.

FredA
09-13-2002, 06:12 PM
Here on the East Coast for the early am ride- Gulp coffee, chain smoke cigarettes, and listen to traveling music like the Allman Bros, Dire Straits, John Prine or the Battlefield Band, played loudly. To keep awake, the heavey metal bagpipe tunes of the Battlefield Band do the trick. In another life a trip to the Cape would have been similar but instead of coffee it would be some domestic brew, also gulped.

migerod
09-13-2002, 09:58 PM
New Guy Here
Gawd there is life after graphite.
Music
Bluegrass with Willie , Waylen, Hargard, and Hank jr.
Rock with Nick and the Lads (Stones), Hendrix, Lead Zep and
ZZ Top.
Cigars Cuban , Pre-Ban 5 by 50 for Dryline work and Churchhills for Wetline work.
After the day is done
Scotch, Single Malt over 18 years Port Wood Finsh
Eye opener
Black Jack by the neck

Butch

:smokin:

NrthFrk16
09-13-2002, 10:10 PM
When it comes to the music I listen to, I wont bother listing the bands as I doubt any of you have ever heard of them...:devil:...because I'm just sooo indie rock. :rolleyes:

But I also listen to alot of The Cure,The Clash, Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, Ramones...I am sure some of those ring a bell. :chuckle:

I dont smoke and thus I dont have the foggiest clue about cigars, cigarettes, ganja (and it does seem that many of us steelheaders do indulge in unlawful activities on the river...more then I ever thought was possible) etc. etc. etc.

...and my drink of choice on the river is either a big bottle of Gatorade or water.

Moonlight
09-14-2002, 02:00 AM
I try and pass on the tobaco but will misstep from time to time, and at certain border crossings I have been known to pick up a box or two of Don Tomas (Honduran from Cuban seed) to share with others and keep the bugs at bay.
Alcohol wine.
Music you would have to be there to understand someplace between KD Lang and Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue, with Bach's Toccata and Fuge in D minor ,sandwiched between Morrison's Horse Lattitudes there is certainly some little bit of music that I perfer but I never seem to be able to pin it down. I guess its like Steelhead flys it just don't matter as long as your in steelhead country.
I must check out Voodoo Chile!!!

jetsled
09-14-2002, 09:08 AM
I like a big wad of Copenhagen, lukewarm Natural Ice, and the Saturday night fever soundtrack

Dana
09-14-2002, 10:30 AM
Music: Ian Tyson for the drive, mixed liberally with Jimmy Buffet, Tom Waits and just about anything with bagpipes in it; on the river or in camp it's the wind, the water, and the coyotes that I want to hear!

Cigars: only smoke a few a year, so whatever Tyler has kickin' around the trailer is usually just about right ;)

Jet fuel: the oldest, toughest, grungiest roadhouse coffee I can get (Fraser Canyon all-night eateries are usually pretty good for this stuff, so is the Husky in Boston Bar)

Nectar: Glendronach, and any of the dark Ales from Alberta's Big Rock brewery.

TerryD
09-15-2002, 12:06 AM
Music: When I feel the need to go way back it is Johnny Cash. Other than that Journey, Bruce, U2, Pink Floyd, Social Distortion, Dixie Chicks, etc.

Cigars: No clue.

Drink: Sotch = Single Malt by Glen Morrangie if I feel rich; Whisky = JD; and Beer is Bud Light.

On last Spring's lake fishing trip my friend introduced me to marlot wine: Brand, no clue.

Of course, if I get a steelhead to hook-up it just adds to the enjoyment.

Tight Lines!

NrthFrk16
09-15-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by TerryD
Music: ...Social Distortion...

http://www.mschaefer.homestead.com/files/music049.gif

flytyer
09-15-2002, 01:11 AM
Music: quality, well done jazz of any type with the exception of the Dave Holland free-from type - you know, not melody, no chord progression, just everyone play all out all the time. It sound like noise to me. That said, give me some good Dixyland, blues, Chicago jazz, Kansas City style, Crubeck, Maynard Ferguson, Winton Marsallis, George Benson, the Duke, Ellington, Quincy, etc. Also, toss in some Bach, Copeland, Stravinsky, Schubert, Bethoven, etc. and some very well done opera. Then, you can't forget Motown, Do Wop, R&B, Jazz Rock, etc.

Ah heck, I like any and all types of music provided they are well done, have a recognizable melody, have varying volumes within the piece, and god harnonies and chord progressions.

Cigars, sorry I don't smoke so I don't know anything about them. My father has been a cigar smoker since he has been 18, picked it up in the army during WWII. He likes Cuban or Dominican Republic digars, claims all others aren't worth the trouble to light up. Abain, I don't know because I don't smoke.

As for beverage after fishing and back in camp or at home, a quality 8 year old bourbon like Wild Trukey or Straight 8. Although good 12 year old single malts are also nice, I still prefer a quality 8 year old bourbon. Good micro brews, especially bocks and my favorite double bocks. Then there is the quality coffees we have in abundance here in Washington State. Too many of them to name.

ashley
09-15-2002, 05:35 AM
Music-for the early morning ozzy,motley crue or the radio and same again on the way home but louder to keep me awake.
Smokes-roll-ups or what ever I can find when I run out.
Lots of very strong coffee and when I get back a bottle or 2 of bud.If I catch then its JD and coke.:)

Steelheader69
09-16-2002, 03:45 AM
Music. I like a variety actually. Normally depends on fishing partner to what tunes I listen to. Mostly country (Brooks and Dunn, Garth Brooks, Kenny Chesney). But will listen to some of music I grew up listening to and going to see in concerts back in the day (The Clash, The Who, Def Leppard, Stones, etc).

Don't smoke. It'll kill me (quite literally). Highly allergic to the smoke, and closes my airway. I can chomp on a cigar butt, or puff, but quite literally can't inhale it (same with cigarettes). But, for some reason dubbage doesn't effect me (not that I'd know from way back when lol).

For drinking, I love good tequila. Not the cheap stuff (poncho, jose). I like drinking Herradura, Horduras, good 100% blue aquava tequila. Straight up, or on the rocks. Don't waste good stuff on margaritas. That's what the Jose is for.

But, occasionally, I like a beer, a nice chilled Alaskan Amber.

KerryS
09-16-2002, 10:15 AM
Jetsled,

You are one sick individual……..seek help.

striblue
09-16-2002, 10:58 AM
Cubans when I have them or Hoyo's, Punch...all maduro...Don't drink ... and love the oldies... the sound track of "American Graffitti". C,S,N,and Y, Jethro Tull, Mo-town,,,Carly Simon and James Taylor...Allman bros..how's that for diversity.

Moonlight
09-16-2002, 04:12 PM
I am in the process of packing up the old Airstream for a long drive North and will be crossing the Cigar Shop Border for a box of the fat ones.. While I was packing I thought about this thread and went to my wifes CD Tower (Over 400 choices) I scored a 3 CD set of Sousa marches and a pair of Johnny Mathis CDs. Diversity is job one re. the music in camp and on the road.
I hope the corn is ready for picking on the Fraser at Marrgeritte so sweet and tender and good for you! Its kind of nice going back to a place you are familiar with just to see the changes and appreciate the lack of changes too.
Maybe I'll run into one of you in the next two weeks up North but then again I will probably be hiding out in some low rent dirt road siding far (I hope) from the maddening crowd. Interesting phrase "Maddening Crowd" I hear it used alot but I'm really not sure what it really does mean. Oh well I don;t have a clue how TV or computers work either so what the >>>> hope someone else gets to take the long drive, misery loves company but all my companions are predisposed to wage earning I must press on alone tsk tsk.
Glad to hear of good times on the N U and farther South in California it is sounding good also. Too much traffic on the freeway I am not getting side tracked by good reports and high Dam counts. I someday must buy stock in a gasoline company to try and get back some of my fuel dollars I have squandered chasing steelheads from Frisco to Alaska.

FlyFishAR
09-16-2002, 05:32 PM
The only music I want to hear is the serenity of the water flowing over the rocks and the quiet whisper of my fly gliding past my shoulder. I hear that melody more in my mind than the lyrics to the newest song on the radio.

I might rather settle for the smell of my drag smoking than a fine Cuban. :smokin:

John

andre
09-17-2002, 05:03 PM
Music, the only music for me is the engine screeming to get me there asap...smell the roses hell I want to smell fish, the slime of the river, and rotting salmon on the bank. Smoke gotta role the windows down which creates drag which slows my driving. Turn the radio draws more current from the alternator which also slows me down. Go fast, fish hard, don't float your hat!

Music, most anything by Hardy prefer Perfect 4" 1920's model .... and lots o talk radio lets me swear at all the idiots for not thinking the way I do. Ryan, I'm sure I know a lot o what you speak.

Smoke, a local custom roll from rich's Monti #2.

A nice single to enjoy and think about.

NrthFrk16
09-20-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by andre
Ryan, I'm sure I know a lot o what you speak.

Now I am very curious...

loco_alto
09-20-2002, 03:08 AM
I too like the sound of the water and the reel, but music is almost always with me in the car. It spans from Gram Parsons, Wilco, and Meat Puppets to Stereolab, Sonic Youth, and VU on any given day. In my case, just about anything except stuff typically heard on commercial radio.

cigars make me want to take a dump pronto. too intense. too too intense.

drinks span from single malts in cold weather to microbrews (Mirror Pond!!) in warmer weather. Or a nice BIG zinfandel. Gotta have the Snyder's hard sourdough pretzels to go along. Always PEETs coffee in the morning, though as with booze, I'll drink anything for medicinal reasons.

rich_simms
09-21-2002, 01:19 AM
OK, I'll bite; Once in blue moon a good cigar is nice, but prefer not to indulge.

Partial to good single malt or Canadian blend around camp. And a ice cold brew after changing out of the waders is nice, what kind depends on how many in the fishing party.

Music; Dylan, earlier Springsteen, Chicago Transit Authority, but nothing later, Hornsby, Deep Purple, Doors

speybum
09-21-2002, 04:31 PM
Boy,
You guys get all the fun.:razz:
speybum

ChucknDuck
09-23-2002, 12:44 AM
Sinatra, Black Crows, Too Slim and the Taildraggers, Clifton Chenier, Curtis Salgado, Molly Hatchet, AC/DC,...its all good.

Stopped smoking stogies after the 1997 Apple Cup that sent WSU to the Rose Bowl. Was sooooo happy that I put the cherry end of the smoke in my mouth....Ouch! NEVER AGAIN will I smoke a dog turd.

Just Say No To Boy Bands.

juro
09-23-2002, 06:34 AM
OK, it's obvious we're talking about music during the drive verses while fishing (which I don't want) so I'll have to put in a plug for Mr. Stevie Ray Vaughn. Little Wing just never seems to get old, now on digital in the truck. I like good jazz, classical, love 'dem blues, someone mentioned modern-day guitar virtuosos - very impressive, and enjoy the great oldies although I can live without the corny ones. C&W falls into that same category for me, there are the great tunes that reach the soul then there's hee haw. Pink Floyd still gets me thinking I can change the world.

Like many others my smoke consumption will be more and more limited, since rounding 40 I am going to play it a bit safer than in the past with carcinogens.

FlyFishAR
09-23-2002, 06:53 AM
Pink Floyd still gets me thinking I can change the world.

I mixed "Learning to fly" with that brown trout video for my own personal entertainment.

John

JDJones
10-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Bluegrass, Old timey, Celtic, fiddle tunes. For me, this is roots music. I will sometimes get in the mood for something different like the rockabilly or do wop of the 50's 60's. Or if someone has some good Jazz, Blues, or Dixie Land, I can tolerate that. This of course is away from the river. If in camp on the river, the wind in the trees, the sound of the river and the cry of an eagle would make my day.

Gave up smoking pipes in 78. Had a small fortune invested in the things too.

Really appreciate a good double bock with a sharp chedder. Although Fred has turned me onto a few good single malts. Tend to favor the really peatty ones, LaFroigg, Langavulin.

We were thinking of renting a moter home for next years Sandy Clave just so we could do the after hours thing.:hehe:

JD