Rip Trip #2 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip #2

striblue
09-10-2002, 10:51 PM
I know it's been a tough year from the beach in Chatham but I wanted to orgainize one fall rip trip either the weekend before or after the Roddy clave...one day ....Sat or Sunday... I am getting reliable reports from some of my Chatham local pals that there are big bass down there now and maybe some hard tails.... Need twelve volunteers...for one day..usually 7 am to 4 pm at the south tip...Any interest????????.. We can even look into early October.

Eddie
09-10-2002, 10:57 PM
Oct.5 or 6 would be good for me. Is that too late?

juro
09-10-2002, 11:11 PM
My arse still hurts from the last ride back but I'm in! :hehe:

JayM
09-11-2002, 12:17 AM
Like Juro, I am still hurting from the last trip.

However, I would be "in" for a Saturday trip either of those weekend. Most of my Sundays are booked.

J

FredA
09-11-2002, 06:25 AM
I'm interested, haven't been out this year. Sundays are preferable. Morning outgoings this weekend. Perfect for an afternoon stroll back to the north end.

Smcdermott
09-11-2002, 06:27 AM
I need to check on the dates but would very much like to go.

jfbasser
09-11-2002, 07:00 AM
I am in if it's the weekend after the Rhody clave or the Sunday before ( Sept. 22nd):smokin:

Quentin
09-11-2002, 07:51 AM
I'm a "definite maybe" for the weekend of 10/5. Can't make it on the earlier date.

Q

CSJ60
09-11-2002, 08:13 AM
Very interested, my weekends are open.

BigDave
09-11-2002, 08:26 AM
I'm in. Weekends are pretty free for the rest of the month and Oct.

John - PM me - your box is full.

Penguin
09-11-2002, 08:59 AM
WALK BACK!

DFix
09-11-2002, 09:18 AM
those comfy chairs in your sovereign territories allow you to get a bit soft??? - y'know, HD sells a little Ensolite pad you can carry for under your tooshie - even works as a quick preserver for when they throw you over for whining :whoa: :hehe:

juro
09-11-2002, 09:41 AM
You probably didn't hear about the reel that snapped off at the seat or the breaking open of backpack zippers, or the loosening of teeth on the last return voyage...

but thanks for the idea Dave - I'll bring an ass pad for sure! :hehe:

DFix
09-11-2002, 09:52 AM
The 'cheap grief' factor in that was explained to Pete before I posted it. The Ensolite garden kneeler padding is tremendous for stuff like avoiding getting your ass whipped by a bouncing boat - believe me, I've wished I hadn't forgotten it on some of my trips too:tsk_tsk: won't happen very often again.

striblue
09-11-2002, 10:00 AM
Great response...by the way Dave F....is your post a yes or no? ... I will contact Keith today to get his feel and we will establish two date... the go date and backup....First weekend of October might be the best to get established.... I will get back after I speak with Keith.....

DFix
09-11-2002, 10:06 AM
In re: our conversation last Thursday - I don't see it happening. My loss.

shadfreak
09-11-2002, 10:57 AM
I also interested in going. It will depend on the weekend.
Larry

BirdFish
09-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Sign me up! I'd love to go.
Dave Williams

Mattb
09-11-2002, 11:51 AM
I'm interested, but it would depend on the weekend.

-Matt

Lefty
09-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by striblue
I know it's been a tough year from the beach in Chatham but .....

John- zero sympathy from me on that. :razz:
You guys have had more than your fair share during past seasons. Remember, a No. Shore lunker is 22".

Lefty

BTW-glad yer makin Rhodey.

rooster
09-11-2002, 12:31 PM
John, Pete,
Would love to go, but the travels and HS Football games will keep me on the left coast in most of Oct.
Say Howdy to Keith for me and catch them all!
DK

striblue
09-11-2002, 03:47 PM
Spoke to Keith and It's a go...I will check with him this Sunday about exact dates but the first Weekend of October is far enough out... I will work with Juro for a sign up sheet next week...if we can get committements from mor than 12.... we can do a back to back so nobody gets left out. P.S. Lefty...look forward to seeing you in Rody.

Jimmy
09-11-2002, 04:45 PM
Any time except the weekend of 10/5&6. USAR training.

Penguin
09-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Dave...
I have become pampered and lazy but "ensolite"?!
There is something to be said about uncompromising and unrelenting comfort...
Once upon a time I could be convinced that if it didn't kill me, it made me stronger...I have finally seen the light!
The "doctors" tell me to listen to my body and, personally, I prefer the anti-G "temper-pedic" Swedish foam to cushion lifes irregularitiies...but my comfort vocabulary is full of GoreTex, air conditioning, aleve, tylenol, hot tub, and cold beer...to name a few.
'Tough to fit all that in my RipTripClave bag...
Come join us! I'll carry your stuff...

ps
Juro, the Right Honourable Chatham Mayor, and yours truly on last seasons RipTrip...I'm the one on the right with the AK47weight.:hehe:

FredA
09-12-2002, 06:28 AM
Man, that uniform and haircut look more like biker issued than military. What branch were you in?

Roop
09-12-2002, 07:27 AM
If there's space I'd like to join you guys for a "reunion". Doesn't matter when.

Besides, I could use the excercise of the long walk back. ;)

Roop

Dad
09-12-2002, 07:32 AM
Dear Pete;

Your "bitches" need a shave...........

Adrian
09-12-2002, 08:22 AM
John

I'm going to make this one too - can't see me getting back up there beforehand!

craig
09-12-2002, 08:39 AM
I'd like to go if there is still room.

striblue
09-12-2002, 09:08 AM
I will contact Juro for a sign up sheet for confirmations and if necessary we can try two days if we have more than the initial 12. As you all know, this is weather permitting and the walk back is only a consideration if we have a wind turn to a heavy sw. I would anticipate that this time I will be asking Keith to watch the weather carefully and if there is any possibility of a change he should get us sooner....or there might be those who will want to walk back anyway...I know I might opt for that so I can fish all the way back along either the west or east coast. It looks like the weekend of October 5 or 6... I will contact Jimmy... I will continue to seek advice from the locals who are fishing down there for up to date reports... More later...If any one needs to find out what to bring... they can look back on the old Rip trip posts which have discussed this in great detail...But I ssupect as we get closer we will do a refresher.....P.S. Pete..great picture and the Special Forces should not run around with beards...what would George Patton say?

DFix
09-12-2002, 09:51 AM
Pete, I recognize and agree with retirement perquisites, in fact, I strive to enjoy several of them p.r.n., e.g., Advil, heatpacks, progressive eyeglasses, fleece and some GoreTex (and I'm not ever gonna be able to retire, either) - yet still believe that what didn't kill me probably wasn't as pissed off as I was at the time:whoa: I didn't start listening to a doctor's advice until I was well beyond help:eyecrazy: I guess the Ensolite era really 'dates' me, so I'll have to research this Swedish comfort foam you speak about - remember, we're from slightly different age groups, so I wouldn't know about 'new and improved':chuckle: :chuckle:

As to Dad's comment about your bitches needing to shave :eek:, I remember it being easier to blend in with the background, so don't let the Mayor or FishNinja change a thing or the fish will get wise. Lastly, my right arm and leg thank you for offering to carry my gear, but I can't make it. Sometime, perhaps, but not this trip. Maybe you can get Dad to go, or even all Three Doogue Knights :smokin:

BTW - yeah, you in that fatigue garb kinda looks like you just jumped off one of the bikes in Easy Rider...the other two are from a Rudolph Valentino flick, right???

Everybody have a great time.

striblue
09-12-2002, 08:09 PM
Will October 11 or 12 be better for everyone?... I know Jimmy can then make it and we can reserve both days to get everyone down there one last time this year or have the extra day if the weather does not cooperate. Juro..can you give me a call... I will be on the Cape Late Saturday night and Sunday of this weekend...

Jimmy
09-13-2002, 07:14 AM
just for me. If it is better for most people on the 5th & 6th, go for it. The rip will be there for me at another time. Remember, the needs of the many outway the needs of the few. :) There will be other days.

FredA
09-13-2002, 07:20 AM
Jimmy - IMHO the best tides for a rip trip are this weekend, Rhody Fest weekend and the weekend of the 11th. Frankly, the 5th rang a bell with me - just remembered - anniversary, thus no way.

striblue
09-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Fred...the best tides would be the weekend of the 11th...

jfbasser
09-13-2002, 09:32 AM
Seems to me thats the best deal....even a Holiday on Monday so people can fish more (or Penquins could walk more):smokin:

Adrian
09-13-2002, 09:44 AM
Any week-end works for me in October!

Dble Haul
09-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Guys- I was planning on being in Chatham that weekend (the 11th) with a buddy to do some fall migration fishing. If that winds up being the weekend, you can count me and Bert in too.

JayM
09-13-2002, 11:30 AM
I would vote for the 11/12 Oct as well.

You could count on me and Chad to attend this trip as well.

Jay

Anyone thinking of locations this weekend?

Chris
09-13-2002, 11:53 AM
I am interseted for the 5th. I'll be in Waltham training for the week 9/30-10/4 and would need a cot, couch or floor Friday night 10/4. Any room at Area 61 or the CAC? I only made it down twice this year and it would be a nice way to wrap up the season. Can't do it 11th/12th I'll watch for the final word and plan accordinly.

Penguin
09-13-2002, 08:06 PM
I'll be chasing fast movers around Fishers' Island on Oct 4th...
'Probably get off the boat around 1500+/-...and then drive back to Area 61....ETA 1830+/-...
If you need a place to spend the night (s)...I can arrange for the perimeter guards to collar the dawgz and to turn off the electric fence.
Letmeknow...and we can make this work.
Not as close to Chatham as CAC but you know what they say about being choosey and looking at a gift horse?!

ps
Johnny Scissorshanz...I just remembered!...Sorry but...I'll be getting married (or something like that only better) on the 12th so I won't be able to do that weekend.:razz:

Adrian
09-14-2002, 05:15 AM
Pete

AWesome! Thats great, especially since it will be the last chance to enjoy the renouned Area 61 officers mess before the new base commander takes over ;)

Congratulations Pete! :D

Chris
09-14-2002, 07:29 AM
Pete,
When the weekend is settled on I'll know better. I've never been to the garrison so I'll need directions if it turns out to be the 5th and 6th.
If you and Adrian are going to be around anyway we could make it a mini assault.
All gift horses appreciated.

BigDave
09-16-2002, 01:21 PM
Oct 12 works best for me.

Looking forward to rippin' lips with everyone before fly-tying season begins.

Doc Duprey
09-16-2002, 04:50 PM
Well, my shot at the Rhody 'Clave cratered, so is there any room left for a near-newbie on the Rip Trip? Having been introduced to the wonders of the Chatham area by the C.O of Area 61 and the Right Honorable Art Sawyer, I've been itching to get back up there. October 11 and 12 works for me, and I'll even bring my new French Foreign Legion kepi for possible Death Marches.

Best regards,

-Doc

Chris
09-17-2002, 07:27 PM
So what's the concensus? 11th & 12th or 5th and 6th? Does Rip Rider make regular runs now or just special group runs this time of year?

I'll definately be down on Satrurday 10/5.

Smcdermott
09-17-2002, 09:49 PM
I would love to go on the 11th or 12th.

Sean