Humpies??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Humpies???

watersprite
09-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Curious...

Earlier this morning I heard a jet sled pass by my property and went out to see if it might be another test fishery being done by the WDFW (they did one yesterday, too). I didn't see them so I expect they went further up river by Bacon Creek, anyway...

As I watched the water for signs of fish movement I started noticing several small fish (18" of so, maybe 4# to 6#). When there were two together, the trailing fish exhibited a very pronounced kype and hump. They sure looked like the humpies of last fall-2001. Knowing that there have been reports of such even-year runs in the Stilly and Sky, could these have been another group of even-year humpies? They seem far too small for any Kings in my memory and the silvers are reported to be in the western Puget Sound and the Straits - not this far up the Skagit! More info: they were brownish-red in color and some showed the usual white spots of decomposition.

Anyone like to set me straight on this observation?

ws

KerryS
09-10-2002, 01:47 PM
There are some even year humps in the Skagit. Seems to be more sightings of them this year than past even years.

watersprite
09-10-2002, 07:00 PM
Awesome fish, awesome river the Skagit.

Just got back from checking on my cow near the river. I decided to check to see if I could see the "humpies" again but the lighting was off, leaving my side of the river in shadows. I went down to the bank and was instantly splashed by a very large king jumping no more than two feet from the shore. Startled puts it mildly! God I love this time of the year with all these fish in the river. Too bad my location is closed to all salmon fishing (though open for steelhead and dollies, etc.).

ws