Bluewater Leaders Food for thought... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bluewater Leaders Food for thought...

Roop
09-10-2002, 07:48 AM
Just something to consider

Last night I had a confrimation - via a friend - that having a weak link/ class tippet in your leader is the way to go.

Imagine hooking into a 40 - 80# tuna on the fly, standing in the bow of a boat and the line that you stripped in is suddenly wrapped around your leg. Happens to me ocassionally with stripers and blues.

This leader was rigged witha 25# class section which thankfully broke off. No damage to person or gear.

My leaders are pretty simple: 60# butt section, 25# "class" section, 60# tippet (for protection against the gill plates).

Casts great on the #14 Powell with lines from 325 grain to 525

Roop

striblue
09-10-2002, 09:29 AM
Jeff..that's important advice and easily forgotten when you are thinking of rigging up...I would do the same... but put a bimini in back of the 25 pound tippet .

Roop
09-10-2002, 11:59 AM
You're right on target John.

I use a bimini to an albright on both ends.

Of course, what the hell do I know? I haven't caught a damn thing on that fly rod! Maybe I need one of those heavy duty spinning rods instead?? ;)

artb
09-11-2002, 05:16 AM
:D Roop, If you look at some of my posts, I always have advocated a weak link. I use either a wire attaching the fly to the wirethen to the wire I have no more than a 20 lb weak link in the leader. One time a couple of years ago, I had a small tuna take all my line as the weakest link was my backing, at that time 20 lbs. I now have the weak link in the leader whether, or not I use wire or 60 lb nylon. It is never more than20 lbs, and sometimes 16 lbs. :smokin: learned by experience.