Pictures of tailing redfish action [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pictures of tailing redfish action

capt_gordon
09-09-2002, 04:18 PM
Some of you have been reading my posts about the tailing redfish action down my way. Unfortunately my digital camera died even before I got a chance to try it out (sent it back and am trying to get another). However I got some great action shots of one of my regular guys. Took these from the poling tower of my little boat. Hope you like them. Notice the grass in the water and the depth. Anytime the fish moves up or down even a little bit it disturbs the surface either by having it's tail stick out or a tip of tail or a dorsal fin or whole back. Sometimes you just see a small disturbance and other times they throw water in the air a couple feet. It is my favorite kind of fishing now.

Here is the hookup...

capt_gordon
09-09-2002, 04:19 PM
Here is the battle...

capt_gordon
09-09-2002, 04:20 PM
And here is the moment of triumph!

Nick
09-09-2002, 06:06 PM
Capt. Gordon,
That fishing looks too cool! Walkin' around in the weeds catching redfish! Excellent.
Nick

Eddie
09-10-2002, 11:17 PM
What is the season down there? When is best? Thanks, Eddie

juro
09-10-2002, 11:19 PM
Capt. that looks like a blast! When the cold weather sets in up north that just might be me down there!

capt_gordon
09-11-2002, 07:48 AM
The grass flat action is a summer pattern. Fiddler crabs are very active in the summer and get less active when the water temps drop below 65 - 70. However we find reds in the shallows all winter when the weather is nice. It turns from a high tide thing to a low tide thing. Low tide because the fish have fewer places to go and hence are easier to find. On high tides when they aren't on the grass flats tailing, they are nearly impossible to get around. In the winter we actually will fish from 2-3 hours before to 2-3 hours after low tide. Something that a lot of folks don't know much about is the fact that we have fat alberts here all winter. When the weather is nice you can go out in the ocean in December and/or january or February and expect to see alberts. The other thing is the fact that Chesapeake stripers have been making a run down here the last couple of winters. Big schools of 30 pound (and bigger) stripers running the beach and on the Cape Lookout Shoals. Again all of this is weather dependent. The weather is pretty variable in the winter. It can be 65 - 70 degrees with sunny skies. It can also be pretty lousy. If you come to NC in the winter you need to plan extra days just to have a weather window. Winter is, after all, still winter.

Eddie
09-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Thanks, always on the look out for soft water in the winter.