Swift [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Swift

BigDave
09-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Made it out to the Swift on Saturday AM with a couple of friends. What a beautiful morning to be on the water.

The story of the day was...frustration. Lots of fish spotted in the usual hangouts but the rainbows were in spawning mode - chasing tails and off the feed. Finally a midge hatch got thier attention and after switching to 8x, hooked up and broke off a couple of nice fish. Can't even tell you how many fish opened their mouth for the take and then got out of the way :(

Moved up to some less gravelly digs and found a single sipping actively downstream from my position. Switched flies, drifted the seam, hooked, landed and released a nice fiesty rainbow. Very pretty fish.

Put in the mandatory couple of hours at the Y-pool and must have missed 15 fish that I saw come up for my midge. Frustrating but funny at the same time. I guess that's the way it goes w/size 26 patterns...

Overall - 3 for about 30 takes on the day :hehe: Still a ton of fun and good times between freinds. Hope we get some rain around here to rejuvinate the other fisheries and thin out the crowds.

BigD

juro
09-09-2002, 08:33 AM
Dave -

OK you got my interest - If you're going to keep hitting it over the autumn weekends I'd love to come along to take pictures and trick a trout or two.

BigDave
09-09-2002, 08:40 AM
Juro - you're on. Check your PM

striblue
09-09-2002, 08:40 AM
Dave... great report and a fun day obviously... let me know if I can join you sometime.Haven't fished the Swift for a long time and I will not be down the cape every weekend.

BigDave
09-09-2002, 08:53 AM
John - check your PM