Washington, D.C. fishing? Potomac? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Washington, D.C. fishing? Potomac?

dirtycamprunner
09-09-2002, 12:15 AM
First, I just discovered this site, and it's full of good stuff. Thanks to all.

I'm travelling to D.C. for business, and I've never fished for bass. I've heard there are smallmouth in the Potomac.

Is there access close to the city? What about the C&O Canal? Any ideas?

I bicycled/camped the C&O Canal thirty years ago, and though the Potomac was very polluted then (advisories to stay out of water) there were fish and snapping turtles.

Too many all-day meetings make me nuts. Fishing escape would be perfect.

Thanks!

Eddie
09-09-2002, 09:06 AM
Ask for Newel or Grizly @ the Angler's Lie in Arlington. 703-527-2524. Tell 'em Eddie said "Hi".

dirtycamprunner
09-09-2002, 09:27 AM
Thanks very much. I'll give em a try.

billb
09-09-2002, 11:59 AM
Angler's Lie is a great suggestion. If you wanted a half day guided trip they have at least three reputable guides for the Potomac.

From the D.C. side of the Potomac you would need to head northwest into Maryland before you would be getting into any good smallie fishing at this time of year. You should probably fish at least 1/2 mile above the Falls (check the map there is public access above the falls. While the Mid-Atlantic area is in fairly significant drought conditions, the reservoirs in West Virginia have ensured minimum flows on the Potomac and kept the fishery fairly intact. It is not unusual to catch 10-15+ smallies in an evening of fishing (say 5:00-7:30 ish). Most of these smallmouth will be on the small side, but a 14" smallie will provide alot of fun on a six/seven weight.

The C&O Canal has largemouth bass and quite a reputation for carp near the Georgetown Boat House.

If you want, you can send me a PM at wbozarth@mccandlaw.com