Advice Requested [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Advice Requested

Paxton
09-08-2002, 09:29 AM
I'm a new member to the forum, thanks to a chance meeting with Pequin on South Beach flats about a month ago. Have totally enjoyed and learned from reading all your contributions. This is a great site!
Although not new to fishing, I am new to salt water fly fishing. started this Spring(last week of May) and had great success blind fishing off point at Chatham Light . Also success throwing poppers to tailing bluefish in tub area.
Have been a total failure sight fishing the flats of South Beach :(
Last Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 3:45p.m. I sighted 106 stripers. Had only 9 follows and not one hit. They only seemed interested in following a 1 inch crab pattern.
Obviously I am in need of help regarding retrieve. I tried quick strips, small strips, inching the crab along and dead stop when the fly was a ft or 2 infront of Mr. Bass.....still no results :(
Any tips or references to articles regarding technique or retrieve, would be greatly appreciated.
I have to admit, despite my failures.....this is the most exciting fishing I have ever experienced in my life. At least I'm hooked!
Oh......I made no sighting of the "Tank" that Pequin reports is now patrolling South Beach
:D

juro
09-08-2002, 09:44 AM
If I told you I'd have to shoot you ;)

Let's plan on getting out there together one of these days. In fact today would be one of the best of the entire second half of the season.

Even when they are finicky as hell there are ways to open their mouths. You won't go 106 for 106 but you should hook 8,10 maybe 20 good bass out of those numbers.

That's all I will say on line :D

Paxton
09-09-2002, 07:37 AM
Thanks Juro....I certainly appreciate the offer for some coaching. Can meet you almost any day...live in Worcester area, but can either leave at crack of dawn (as I usually do) or the night before.
Available 9/14 and on, with the exception of 9/24 and 9/28.
I'd be happy to even just watch and learn...don't want to spoil your day. Dinner afterwards on me.
My email is rpasternake@aol.com

Ron

juro
09-09-2002, 07:53 AM
Too bad we missed this weekend's tide! I am in the middle of a string of three weekends of no fishing (grrr!)

I have one more family obs weekend then hopefully will get a day on SB w/e of the 21st before the Rhody on the 28th. One possibility is that I may go out west for coho/steelhead during Sept., slim chance at this point but season closes Oct. If we don't get such a day in this season, we'll definitely do it the next.

21st is a possibility, tides are perfect but it's doubtful we'll get weather like this current stretch we're in, ideal for sight fishing. If I do not go out west and weather's suitable for sight fishing it would work for me.

Most years after late August / early September things pick back up again. Last year was an exception, few fish once the migration started. But then again July and Aug were outstanding last year and this year it was pretty tough fishing overall by late July.

Let's play it by ear.

CSJ60
09-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Juro,

Do you have room for a second newbe. See my post under 9/7 SB. I have had the same lack of success as Paxton but I just started in early August 02. Paxton if you don't mind we can split the cost of dinner.

Paxton
09-09-2002, 12:00 PM
Thanks Juro....I'll keep the 21st open just in case you are available. As the tides are right, I just may get on my knees and pray to the wife God and go for 3 days around that time.
Just in case you are not available, I think I'll see how many genades I can fit in my vest. As for my other newbe friend.....I certainly don't mine if you join, let it be Juro's call as stomping the flats may be an issue.
If you ever want to join with me, let me know. The trouble with retiring early, is that playmates are not often available. What town do you live in? Maybe if we each know half of what we should know...we can create a whole and catch one of those spooky guys. I am really tired of them giving me the fin!

CSJ60
09-10-2002, 09:11 AM
If three is not a crowd great, otherwise I'll be out there plugging away … did I say plugging. :hehe:

I live just off the Cape in Carver.

I know what you mean about the fin, so close… well you know what they say about close, only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

striblue
09-10-2002, 10:25 AM
If you guys are interested we can meet on Sunday for South beach...You never know when Juro will be knocking on my door on a weekend he wasn't suppose to be down.;)

Paxton
09-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Hi Striblue.....Sunday would be OK....what about tides....looks like a 8:a.m. high....would we be out for the day or come back at noon or fish surfside after the outgoing? Do you leave out of Rip Ryder or Outermost? PM me the day before if you are going for sure. I'll meet you prior to 8 a.m. or when ever you want to....Have a red Toyota 4 Runner SUV. Look like Tom Cruise (ya sure!!!!)
:chuckle:
Will keep eye on the weather till I hear from you.
Ron

striblue
09-10-2002, 04:28 PM
I will be there at 8 and will fish the into the early afternoon. I usually use the Rip Rider which is one of our sponsors. I will be at the light house at about 5 am to fish South Beach until the 8 ferry.

Paxton
09-10-2002, 05:09 PM
See you at Rip Ryder for sure unless that storm in NC hits us. If plans change let me know. Thanks again for the invite.
If I decide to come the night before, I'll see you at the lighthouse.
Have not fished the early a.m. there before....do you suggest intermediate or sinking line rigging?

striblue
09-10-2002, 11:43 PM
Sinking...

CSJ60
09-11-2002, 09:37 AM
Striblue... thanks for the invite. Plan to make the trip with you and Paxton on Sunday. Drive a silver CRV.

Paxton
09-14-2002, 08:06 AM
Hi Striblue......it doesn't look like the weather Gods are with us this weekend.....clouds/rain/15 to 25 mph winds :mad:
If the prediction holds up, I will not make the trip tomorrow :( A 2 to 3 hr drive each way is a lot for not being able to fish the day. I will be there this coming Thursday thru Saturday, weather again cooperating. Will hopefully see you, Jay and Juro on Saturday. Hope the weather forcast changes and if not, hope to meet up with you this coming week(Saturday).

juro
09-14-2002, 08:29 AM
Since we last talked I am tentatively booked for next weekend but if the trip doesn't pan out I will gladly meet up with you guys as we had discussed. I'll confirm and keep you posted.

striblue
09-14-2002, 09:13 AM
OK...Makes sense.... I will be down anyway and may try to get it in before I blows in the early AM...see you maybe the next weekend...

CSJ60
09-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Juro,

I will be on Rip Ride Sunday if you can make it.

Saturday entertaining a colleague from the UK … trout fishing. My wife said doesn't sound like work. :tsk_tsk: I told her its all business. :chuckle:

Saturday evening diner at Il Capriccio in Waltham. Great Italian food.

Hope to see you Sunday.