Anyone know anything about the Blackstone R? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Anyone know anything about the Blackstone R?

juro
09-06-2002, 04:16 PM
Are there accessible areas with good current flow? Anyone fish it? What's in it?

Great map:

http://www.nps.gov/blac/ppmaps/blacmap%2Epdf

artb
09-06-2002, 09:26 PM
:eyecrazy: Juro, I didn't get the map up but it is in my neck of the woods. It has a few dams down below Woonsocket that has pretty good flow sometimes. They have done a lot of cleaning up, but it needs a lot more. I don't know about Mass, but RI stocks it with trout. I wouldn't eat one with your teeth. I still think it is a septic system.:hehe: All the towns from Worcester on down got to pump treated sewerage somewhere, guess where?:rolleyes:

juro
09-06-2002, 09:38 PM
Thanks Art!

Looking forward to seeing you at Rhody.

I am getting really upset about the way the northeastern states have pretty much trashed every Spey-cast sized river south of central New Hampshire and east of the Quabbin area.

I have spent a lot of hours Spey casting on the Merrimac R. since the dog days set in and it amazes me how it was used as a dump for centuries. I've found ceramic and glass in old landfills unearthed by flow changes with writing where "s's" looked like "f's" in the old colonial script style. Right next to the worn out radials. The Charles? No words needed there, it has a legacy of its own. The Nashua was famous for having burst into flames in the industrial era. In fact, I am hard pressed to think of a decent river within reasonable driving distance of eastern MA.

I can't rationalize driving out to the Westfield / Deerfield or north to Franklin New Hampshire just to practice Spey casting.

Good thing our coastlines are so beautiful, we sure trashed our rivers!

:mad: