Vancouver Island Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Vancouver Island Report

Cphatts
09-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Hi All:

This is my first post on this board.....I've visitied the site a few times and have been impressed with what I have seen!

I am heading up to Vancouver Island next week to do some flyfishing and I was wondering if anyone has heard any recent reports up there. I was thinking of hitting the Campbell, and possibly the Heber and Gold Rivers for steelies. Wouldn't mind hooking into a Silver or Chum as well, but thats secondary.

Has anyone heard of anything happening up there lately?

Thanks!
Tim

Nailknot
09-06-2002, 05:35 PM
I fished the Stamp last week. Water was very low and very clear. There were Steelhead in the river, but they weren't biting. Coho were not in the river yet. For information about the Gold, try contacting Matt Guiguet at Murphy's http://www.murphysportfishing.com/index.html

admin
09-07-2002, 07:37 AM
Per the Flyfishing Forum guideline, please CC sponsorship@flyfishingforum.com when you send the email to the Murphy's suggesting they become a sponsor. In case you missed the many announcements explaining this guideline, when a non-sponsor is directly promoted (as in this case) the member is obligated via honor system to send an email suggesting sponsorship to the business they promoted in this audience.

It would be dishonorable if we permitted promotion of other businesses despite being dependent on the support of our true sponsors for our very existence. Clearly we do not want to create a forum where our sponsors are funding us to promote their competitors, but if they become supporters then they deserve our full attention themselves! By this approach we are not censoring, but still are playing fair to everyone's benefit.

Although someone suggested a form letter, these things are more convincing if genuine and in the members own words.

Thank you,

Flyfishing Forum Staff

RLN
09-07-2002, 03:17 PM
your best effort on van.isle right now would be to try the beaches on the east coast of the island for silvers/coho and pink salmon. The return to the gold/ heber was down slightly from recent years and the warm temperatures we have been having have the fish down right now. Most of the beaches between Parksville and Port hardy will have salmon at certain times of the tide and there is good numbers of silvers/coho around this year.

Moonlight
09-07-2002, 08:27 PM
I agree the East Coast of Vancouver Island is the place to be right now, several reliable reports from boats transiting the Johnstone Strait and Discovery Passage have it that there are very large schools of salmon throughout the district as we type!

Nailknot
09-08-2002, 02:51 AM
Sorry, missed the "honor system advertising technique" when I sighned up. That was my third post on here. My only intent was to offer a resource for information, not promote a guide. Now I know better than to add information about anything that might be industry related, but isn't a direct sponsor of this site. Thanks for making that clear.

admin
09-08-2002, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the reply Nailknot -

These reminders are not intended toward people but toward the posts for the sole purpose of spreading the word. We will investigate other ways of getting the message across than the announcements which don't seem to get read.

Glad to have you on board Nailknot!

Cphatts
09-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys! It looks like the Silver fishing may take be more productive than steelies. I'm leaving on Thursday....I'll post a report upon my return.

Thanks again
Tim