Reports [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Reports

Leland Miyawaki
09-06-2002, 02:10 PM
Fished the Sound yesterday with Capt. Keith Robbins.

A bit on the slow side. The only highlight was as we were preparing to move spots and I was winding in. When the popper got up to the boat, I saw a flash underneath. I stopped winding and let the fly sit. A nanosecond later, it was engulfed by a fat four pound silver. It certainly reinforces the reason why I use a two-handed strip more often now. The fish never ran. It stayed at the boat and did the "dance of death," as Keith calls it. My line became hopelessly wound around it's gills, eyes and mouth and I relunctantly had to bonk it for my wife's barby (now she knows I really do go fishing).

Cut to this morning on the Snoqualmie. Ahh, the Northwest is the greatest place to live! Where else can you catch salmon in the saltwater one summer morning and steelhead in a river the next. I caught and released a 10lb. hatchery buck on a #6 low water Purple Spey at 6:30am.

At 10am, I had a meeting where I presented a finished :30 tv spot to my client, Tap House Grill, and it was approved with no changes.

A good karma morning, I would say. I'm gonna go out and buy a lotto ticket.

Leland.

sinktip
09-06-2002, 02:24 PM
Way to go Leland! The purple spey has also treated me well this summer.

juro
09-06-2002, 02:54 PM
It's this time of year that I miss the PNW the most. >sniffle<

I guess I was lucky to have had those kinds of days myself!

pmflyfisher
09-06-2002, 03:39 PM
Steelhead fisherman don't cry, but I can imagine your pain with no steely rivers within a couple of hours drive.:(

Doublespey
09-06-2002, 03:41 PM
But next time, get the steelie on a stripped popper and the coho on a purple spey and I'll REALLY be impressed! :razz: :razz:

'course that's just jealousy - I've been fishing a river where all the steelies are on Strike. :rolleyes:

Fall is a great time of year.

DS

rich_simms
09-07-2002, 09:59 PM
:( Sigh, Looks like I'm missin out, may my injury heal, I'd love to be out thar bro.

juro
09-08-2002, 07:44 AM
More like 6 hours flight time than two hours drive, but - no cryin' here. Compared to Rich I am doin' well, better to be upright and out of reach than out of commission within reach.

GET WELL QUICK RICH!