Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rules of casting

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Nooksack Mac 
#1 ·
When flyfishing a stream I was wondering if there where a set of rules to follow. I was under the impression that you work and cast up stream. Lately I have seen some fisherman cast down stream. Is there any set rule or what works for you, the rule ?

#2 ·
Like all fishing, there are no set rules. There are advantages to fishing upstream. The fish are not as likely to see you, line management is usually easier, and the hookset is usually better because the hook is pulled back into the corner of the jaw. But there are advantages to fishing downstream as well. The fish sees the fly first before the fly line, and the orientation of the fly in the water can give the appearance of prey trying to move helplessly against the current.

There are more for each situation, but those are the most obvious. Personally I prefer to nymph upstream and dry fly fish downstream, but that's just me. To each his own. You'll find what works for you.

#3 ·
One thing to practice to get a feel for the fly and line is to cast cross stream.... that way you are able to see how the drift works and you can practice the drag free drift... also it allows you to start practicing mending the line to acheive that.

#4 ·
There are two different criteria for answering this question, and they may coincide or they may be at odds:
(1) What fooling the fish requires: which depends on such factors as mentioned in previous threads, plus ease/difficulty of your casting position, distance, wind direction, sun direction, etc.
(2) Do you need to accommodate other anglers who are fishing there too, either by ad hoc courtesies or by adherence to a formal behavior, such as taking your place in a line of anglers who are fishing/stepping down a drift or pool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.