feeding albies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: feeding albies

capt_gordon
09-04-2002, 05:48 PM
Just going through some links on my website and found this one. Pretty timely as this thing is going to be happening more and more.
http://www.flyfish-nc.com/slashing.html

Roop
09-05-2002, 10:39 AM
Capt.

Do you or are you in the photos chumming Albiesl?

I haven't heard of many New Englanders doing it but is sure makes sense to me if you can keep a school within casting distance for clients.

If I ever get a bateau - this is definitley something I'm going to try.

Thanks for all the info & reports.

Roop

capt_gordon
09-05-2002, 10:45 AM
The fish in the photos are feeding naturally at the surface. I don't care for chumming (and really teed off a bunch of guys who were doing it exclusively a couple years ago). Last year the shrimp boats worked WAY offshore and you couldn't do it anyway. Really need them around to get the fish used to that sort of thing. If shrimp boats are around then it is a good option on days when no fish are showing in the usual spots. However I prefer to blind cast around areas that I know they hang (usually don't see any other boats around when doing it). Would rather do that than chum anyday. Chumming is definitely a last option. Messy and not really flyfishing.

Roop
09-05-2002, 11:52 AM
Good points although I have a more "liberal" definition of what fly fishing is.

I was thinking based on the way FA blow through an area that instead of constantly running to head off various schools, one could toss out bait (bunker) on a regular basis to try to keep a school close - it might make more sense if it worked.

Definitely don't go for a grinding mackerel off the transom ;)

Hope to take a stab at it next year.

THanks.

Roop