Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rust proof pliers

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  JR SPEY 
#1 ·
Anyone know of a brand of pliers that won't corrode? I bought a pair a few months back on the Cape and despite the claims that they are stainless and rust proof, they are starting to show signs of corrosion. I rinse them thoroughly after each day's use in the salt and let them dry in the open position.

Any thoughts?

#3 ·
A friend has a pair of the donnmar(sp?) pliers and they've held up well for him, no rust that I've noticed and he doesn't baby them. They are pretty expensive though, so I just buy cheap-o pliers and deal with the rust.

I bought a pair of craftsman(expensive for me at ~$15) needlenose pliers before the beginning of last season and they're still going strong. I wash them off most of the time and oil them when the get 'sticky', but I don't baby them. The do have some surface rust, but they still function perfectly. If you can deal with a little cosmetic rust I'd recommend the craftsman pliers any day.

#4 · (Edited)
...'depends on how much you're willing to spend!...

If you can take out a second mortgage...
Abel...VanStaal...to name a few.
Better get a leash too!

Otherwise...go moderate and key on timely maintenance (rinse/oil/etc).

#5 ·
Having doctors in my immediate family has had it's benefits... not just the stitches I've had in the bathroom either!

I use the large surgical hemostats. They lock, are lightweight, and with very little maintenance will not rust. I forgot them on my recent trip to Bermuda, when 'cuda were the catch of the day... :eyecrazy:

#7 ·
Obviously the Abel pliers...they are pricey but not only do they not corrode but they cut like nothing else...

If you want something inexpensive track down a pair of Rapala pliers. A year and half or so ago Rapala started marking their own line of fishing tools like pliers and files and such. The pliers rock!!!

They cut, crimp, pinch, can pull a set of double 5/0's from a kings mouth and do not rust. A freind uses them on his charter boat in Alaska and they do nothing but sit on the deck all spring and summer long and no rust to be found.

#8 · (Edited)
The Dr.Slick pliers are ok. for the $, but the cutter is lame on wire.
I like the Abel pliers, but it sucks to lose them. Why didn't I zip that pocket shut? There is alot of my loot in Davey Jone's Locker.
Currently I am using the Donmar Check Point pliers, and I like them so far. The cutter isn't as good as the Abel's (not as easy to cut close) but the optional leather holster is the best. It clips to your belt so you don't have to thread it through. You don't even need a belt. This is a very good thing indeed.
The Manleys are the guides standard. Not too expensive, will cut through any thing, and the pliers are strong and have good grip. They will rust and are a little bulky and heavy.

#9 ·
leatherman?

For the price of the Abel, you can buy a leatherman per year for a decade! Mine has a great hook sharpener and folds up nice and small to fit in my pocket. If you just rinse and put a drop of tri-flo on the joints every now and then, you can get many seasons out of one :)

BigD

#10 ·
Although they cost more than many people are willing to spend on a reel, let alone pliers, the Van Staal pliers are the best I've found. Mine have spent roughly fifty days saltwater fishing including being dunked numerous times. I've never rinsed them or oiled them and they are still perfect. If you are careful about maintaining your gear you should probably look for other places to spend your money. But, if you forget your pliers when you do the maintenance on your rod, reels, and BogaGrip, look for a pair of the smaller size of the Van Staal pliers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.