Speckled trout [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Speckled trout

capt_gordon
09-04-2002, 08:53 AM
I thought some of you guys might like to see a shot of a trout I got this past spring. I just got the photos as a friend of mine took the shot with his camera as mine had dead batteries. This speckled trout weighed 4 pounds. I actually transported it in my livewell to the weigh station for state citations, weighed the fish in a bag then drove back to the water and released it.
4 pound speck (http://www.flyfish-nc.com/4poundspeck.jpg)

PS
I tried to put the photo in the msg but even when I dropped the file size to below 80 K it said the files was too big.

juro
09-04-2002, 08:57 AM
That's a beauty!

BTW - Per the annoucement (top of every page) our bandwidth is exceeding our monthly allotment by several gigabytes per month (read: very costly) so the max image size is 30,000 bytes per image.

striblue
09-04-2002, 10:36 AM
Just curious about the name... I used to catch "speckled trout" in Quebec years ago with my dad and catch these fresh water fish in lakes...I know these are not the same...but what is the other name if any? They had bueatiful colored spots...small.

pmflyfisher
09-04-2002, 11:33 AM
Nice Speckle, aren't they from Brown trout strain ?

Thought they got up to 10 lbs or so, but I may be wrong.

capt_gordon
09-04-2002, 11:34 AM
The fish caught in saltwater south of Chesapeake Bay that is called speckled trout is also known as the Southern Spotted Weakfish. The fish known as speckled trout in Quebes is, I believe, better known as a brook trout.

So I guess I will be the dummy and ask, how many K is 30,000 bytes?

Dble Haul
09-04-2002, 11:54 AM
30,000 bytes = 30KB

Nice fish in the photo. :)

capt_gordon
09-04-2002, 12:15 PM
29 K

Nick
09-04-2002, 12:28 PM
capt gordon,
now try instead of shrinking the overall size, keep the size, but remove some detail (lower the DPI or resolution). That is the big file size saver!

Nick

juro
09-04-2002, 12:31 PM
The first image you link to is named "jpg" but appears to be a "bmp" or other format file.

This second one was jpeg, I was able to make it 3.5 k without reducing the size at all...

capt_gordon
09-04-2002, 12:32 PM
72 dpi is the web standard and that is what I usually scan in for enty to the web. How low can you go and still see anything? For giggles I reduced the dpi of the original 72 dpi scan low enough so that it was below 30 K, came out smaller than above.

juro
09-04-2002, 12:57 PM
To get pictures under 30k while still maintaining the quality and size you want, you need real image editing software.

Of course not all of us take it seriously enough to pay 100-400 bucks for such a toy, but there are a lot of other things you can do:

(1) learn about what features are out there by taking free trials - just about all the big players provide free trials.

(2) choose a very affordable package, like http://www.missionpeaksoftware.com/purchase.htm for $14.95, or $9.95 if you take the survey. I have never tried this but I noticed it was cheap!

(3) get one of the free packages that come with scanners, new PC's, etc as co-marketing specials (best bet)

(4) Or find some freeware like this http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Graphics_Editors/VCW_VicMan_s_Photo_Editor.html

or better yet the ones mentioned here:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/freeimageeditpc/

In any case, you need a graphics editing tool to take digital pictures down to web readiness.

Did you get any software with the camera?

capt_gordon
09-04-2002, 01:02 PM
So do you think Photoshop is real image editing software?

juro
09-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Less than 25k done with photoshop...

capt_gordon
09-04-2002, 01:12 PM
Now don't keep me in suspense, what is the secret...

juro
09-04-2002, 01:14 PM
Photoshop comes w/ Imageready, a lot easier to use.

When you want to publish a picture to the web, the screen resolution is usually 1024x768 for most users today, and within a browser 500 pixels wide to 800 pixels wide is considered a large picture.

So with either, crop the image to the main substance. Resize the image to 800 or less pixels.

Imageready: click on the "optimize" tab, then play with the "optimize" settings Quality and Blur - until you get the desired size (displayed along the lower edge of the image preview).

In Photoshop, you need to use the "save for web" option off the File menu. Imageready is much easier because the web mode is only a tab click away.

Good luck!

capt_gordon
09-04-2002, 01:28 PM
I used save for web and came up with 8 k. Should make it easier to share my photos with folks here. Thanks Juro, that was aaaall right.