Shore Rhody report (Labor Day) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shore Rhody report (Labor Day)

Dble Haul
09-02-2002, 08:56 PM
It was a beautiful day.....if you're a duck.

A friend and I started the day in Niantic. We saw plenty of bait, but the water seemed very warm and there was a severe lack of bird activity. We ambled up the road to RI and stopped at the Weekapaug breachway. While walking out onto the east jetty, Bert looked across the way and saw tons of bird and fish activity on the beach adjacent to the west jetty. How fast can two grown men run with waders, rain gear, stripping baskets, and flyrods? Not fast enough. I managed to hook two blues, but the both came off in a hurry. The flurry had died down, and all of the surf casters informed us that we had just missed the end of what had been about thirty minutes of steady bluefish action, most of it right in the wash.

We continued on to the West Wall, and afterwards headed back and stopped at Quonny pond. Both locations had active fish, but they were few and far between. The bait was another story. Peanut bunker to the left, to the right, above, below, everywhere......so much bait! And so much rain.....we were drenched, but we had a good time witnessing so much, and watching some cormorants get fatter.

Rhody Hardtail Clavers: a fellow coming off of the West Wall informed us that he had taken a pair of albies about an hour prior to high tide, but that was all we heard of tunoids today. But then again, your gathering is still a ways off, and we spoke to no boaters. If the bait stays, your expedition might be explosive. The fuse is lit. :)

mikez
09-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Looks we past each other somewhere in between the WW and Weekapoug. You were heading east while I headed west.

We started at the West wall where the northeast wind blew the rain into the pocket slit on my rain pants. Of course my shoes were already drenched having stepped directly from my car into a six inch deep lake at 5:00 AM. That was the last time any part of me was close to dry all day - despite waders and rain gear.

I landed a one pound bluefish just after first light and as far as I know it was the only fish caught. We left around 8:00 to head over to Weekapoug where we also had just enough time to wave by-by to the retreating bluefish. I had a few hookups but no landings before they were gone. Bummer! The guy I was with was a surf virgin and I really hoped for a nice blitz to get him hooked. Later we spent way too much time waiting around on the jetty hoping bonito would show. As the surf built and the water got dirtier and dirtier, we decided it was not gonna happen. We decided to cut our losses and headed back east for a sightseeing tour of the Narragansett to Jamestown route. We eventually landed a couple of schoolies in the whitewater at Beavertail but we worked WAY too hard and suffered WAY too much for those few small fish. I doubt if my buddy will become a surf fanatic based on that trip!