Piscataqua 6/6 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Piscataqua 6/6

Eroach
06-07-2001, 10:22 AM
Parked at the new access site to Goat Island on Newcastle Road (thanks NH CCA). Waded all the way around and over to the river side of Pierce Island. Gulls, terns, and fleets of comorants working everywhere you looked. Across the river in front of the Navy hull houses were hundreds of wheeling and diving gulls. Bait everywhere. I fished for about 1-1/2 hours with just a staccato bump (pollock and mackeral still heavy in the river).

Too much bait?

Mattb
06-07-2001, 01:01 PM
I fished along 1A last night a little south of there and ran into much of the same. the pollock were in real thick and it was tough to entice the bass.

I did end up hooking up with one nice fish on a big ~10" pollock fly and 400 grain line, but it spit the hook about 10' out in front of me, so i don't know for sure how big it really was. I fished for a couple of hours in the same area without another hit.

If you didn't try it, I'd say give a big mackeral or pollock fly on a fast sinking line a shot

-Matt

ps We should get together to fish sometime, it sounds like we're fishing in basically the same spots.

Eddie
06-07-2001, 08:47 PM
I fished in the basin accross from Prescot park and hooked into a nice one. Question: how close to the Navy Yard can I fish. I was close enough to read that the use of force is authorised. Sounds scary.