Ants & Trout maybe = some luck. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ants & Trout maybe = some luck.

RTF
09-01-2002, 08:34 AM
I was reading an article in the American Angler about ants and trout. It caught my attention and I went out to the local shop and purchased $9.00 of ant fly patterns. The stream I will be fishing this week winds throughout wooded and agriculture terrian. It will be my first ever attempt at trout with a fly rod.

Now a little info on my trout stream. I have been fishing this stream for about 10 years on and off, but with worm and spinner. I have caught my fair of trout over the years. It is stocked by the state with brown and rainbow. Fish get as big as 16 inches. Most stocked fish are fished out within the first month of the season. I have caught native brook trout in the dead of summer before. During the summer after spring and even into september most all fisherman abandone this stream. It has many feeders coming into it and the main stream dumps into the susquhanna river, but I'm fishing way north of there. Some may ask, why would I fish such a stream in september that has low potential at this time of year. My answer is this. In April every year before they stock it usually on opening day without a doubt several lunker brown trout are taken out of this stream which leads me to believe that there are still some big fish in this stream and we have 30 days left to fish it before they close it off until next year. If I can catch one of these bad boys, I will say a few prayers and release him back into the stream.

FlyFishAR
09-01-2002, 09:51 AM
Not too far outside Austin Texas they had a tail water trout fishery that they keep stocked for trout anglers. Texas has a species of flying ant that swarrms like honey bees. They had a pretty dry summer a few years ago and the ants went on the move. The ants were swarming near the waters edge and eventually the water would rise and sweep a floating "mat" of ants down stream. The trout were picking off the "pile" of ants as they continued down the river.

The problem was that the trout wouldn't leave them alone. They were gorging themselves on ants so badly that the poison that the ants had in their systems were killing the fish. Texas game and fish estimated they were losing up to 100,000 fish per day at the height of the "hatch".

Since that time I understand that the fishery has now been totally wiped out by the recent floods. All that "wrath of God" kinda stuff is starting to sound like Texas wasn't meant to have trout.

John

Quentin
09-01-2002, 10:07 AM
How bizarre! I wonder if the ant poison would then get passed along to people or animals if they ate those fish?

Q

Originally posted by FlyFishAR
The problem was that the trout wouldn't leave them alone. They were gorging themselves on ants so badly that the poison that the ants had in their systems were killing the fish. Texas game and fish estimated they were losing up to 100,000 fish per day at the height of the "hatch".
John

RTF
09-01-2002, 10:18 AM
WOW :eyecrazy: Thats very interesting, and sad at the same time. I was reading that trout love ants and would prefer them over anything else, especailly before the first frost. I read that thy are high in calories and this is one reason trout love ants.

pmflyfisher
09-01-2002, 11:32 AM
Yes ant patterns are a go to pattern just about all over.

Thats a weird texas ant situation, but then again I never thought there was trout fishing in TX. Bass mecca though.

RTF,

I believe it about the big browns, we have small streams in great lakes that continually give up big browns after most people believe they are fished out. Many of these big browns feed only at night and are almost impossible to fish to at night in these small streams with heavy bush and tree foliage surrounding them. The fish will hide in undercut banks and logs during the day and them come out at night cruising for flies or more likely bait fish. The fall is a good time to go over them when the browns start spawning October/November, they lose some of their wariness. We have pulled some nice brownies out in that time period and released them. Trout season closes Sept 30th but salmon and steelhead season is all year here.

I would use a streamer or matuka type pattern for them myself. Egg patterns may work also.

steeliesonafly
09-02-2002, 12:21 AM
Do you tye your own flies yet. If you do, try using some rust or red antron on a dry fly barbless hook about size 16 tie the abdomen with the antron in your basic ant style, then add a middle section of hackle any color will do. Then tie off the head with antron and red tread. This fly has been amazing.... If you don't tie, drop me an email and I will send you a few! Then try these! Steeliesonafly@softcom.net
:)

pmflyfisher
09-02-2002, 08:49 AM
Hmm red antron, will have to tie up some of those.
Thanks
PM

steeliesonafly
09-02-2002, 07:15 PM
PM,
You are going to love that pattern. I tie it like a regular ant perse, but the antron seems to really give it a very real look in the water. Make one and dunk it in the sink. In fast moving water, I can put on two different types of ants. The antron ant will always be their first choice. Super ant...... No joking......:eek:
Let me know when you try it! I gave ChucknDuck a couple and we went fishing in a local river. He couldn't believe the success we had with just this one fly. Right fly, right time of year. Should be a good go to fly for a month or two still.:D

RTF
09-03-2002, 08:15 AM
Well I gave it a whirl yesterday afternoon. Went for trout for the first time ever with a flyrod. Used my black dry fly ant. Water temps hovered around 68 to 70 (Surface), couldnt find anything cooler, even in moving water. In some of the pools, I soaked the ant to get it to sink down, but didnt hook up with any trout. I did however catch a mess of chubs. They tore after my ant:chuckle:

steeliesonafly
09-03-2002, 06:47 PM
RTF,
I sent you two flies in the snail mail. You should get them in a day or two! Give these ones a try and get back with me. I think you will find this pattern a little better then the commercial ones! One is a black the other a rust or red color. Try the rust color one first! They are the larger ant pattern and mimic several other bugs as well. But you should know right off if they are going to work for you! Tight Lines.....:chuckle:

Quentin
09-03-2002, 09:17 PM
I went out this afternoon and saw flying ants everywhere. If you haven't seen them in your neighborhood yet this year they'll probably show up soon!

Q

RTF
09-04-2002, 05:02 AM
You da man steeliesonafly
:)

craig
09-22-2002, 07:33 AM
I caught a brook trout on an ant pattern at the Y-pool a few years ago. I cast it up close to the bank like it had fallen out of a tree or the vegitation on the bank and the fish jumped on it.

SDHflyfisher
11-02-2002, 11:32 AM
saw a show recently on a river near austin fishing for torut and that fishery had gotten better i saw it about two weeks ago