Rhode Trip Tomorrow! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhode Trip Tomorrow!

Quentin
08-29-2002, 07:03 PM
I'm planning to take a ride down to RI tomorrow morning. I'll probably start at Napatree and then park my butt on the Weekapaug jetty and hope that the bonito make a showing. Anyone else planning to be down there tomorrow?

Q

juro
08-29-2002, 07:13 PM
I only wish! Good luck.

mikez
08-29-2002, 09:28 PM
Good luck! I wish I could go back tomorrow!
Don't know if you'll get this in time but, FYI, the breachway always fishes best for bones and albies when the current runs in. Notice I didn't say when the TIDE comes in. Add two hours to the nearest low tide to determine the current change. Then subtract an hour in order to get there before the local sharpies who usually snag the choice spots at the end of the jetty. That should put you there roughly around noon tomorrow [estimated - do the math to be sure]. That gives you plenty of time to fish Napster [unless you chase fish all the way to the rocks!].
Good luck!

pmflyfisher
08-29-2002, 11:17 PM
God, I'm glad we don't have to worry about high and low tides in lake michigan, complex isn't it, however I do miss ocean surf fishing in NJ. I guess it is much easier to figure out the ocean tides now with all of the available real time information online. 20 years ago we looked in the paper and hoped they were right, which always wasn't the case as I recall.

Good Luck with your tidal math calculations !

Quentin
08-30-2002, 01:59 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the tide info. I'll have to leave Napatree by 8:00 or so to avoid incurring the wrath of the parking Gods. Guess that will give me plenty of time to find a place on the jetty!

OK, I'm off to continue my quest to put my backing to use. At this point in my fly fishing career, it has served only to occupy space on my reel.

Q