Need three members who have never got a legal on a fly... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Need three members who have never got a legal on a fly...

juro
06-05-2001, 03:30 PM
to join me at the "honey hole" located in the span between the Sagamore Bridge and P-town ;D.

Chances are good that the you "won't come out the way you went in". Must have a Forum hat and be available for a day on the cape within the next two weekends during the times I specify.

Must reply to this thread, no email please (I am having trouble with it lately).

jborkowski
06-05-2001, 03:54 PM
I suppose I don't qualify anymore.

Who'd a thunk it...there are some disadvantages to having one good day.

doogue
06-05-2001, 03:57 PM
Juro,

I am not saying that I am looking to go on this next trip (1st time on this trip was a charm). However, I want to tell anybody who signs up for this adventure that they will not come out of the trip in the same state that they were in before embarking on the trip.

You may not catch a keeper during the trip but your addiction to catching stripers on the fly will certainly strengthen - by orders of magnitude. I know mine did!

Thanks again Juro.

-Mike

juro
06-05-2001, 04:19 PM
There were no other anglers (of any gear type) and more big fish the day after. Things were better earlier than later and they were easier to reach because they were on the shelf. I hooked a fish in the mid-30"s on my third cast (lost trying to hand the rod off to my guest). He eventually landed his own cow. My wild-assed prediction is that this spot will get better for several more days then like all amazing things it will end until some phase of the season down the road. You can bet I will try it in autumn but I suspect it might not re-occur until next end-of-spring. One for the books for sure.

striblue
06-05-2001, 05:06 PM
Please Mr. Juro.. I have never caught a keeper..can I come.. I am so nervious about this. What should bring? I have answered this post. My friend J. Morin let me use his handle to post this. He and I look alot alike... He will lend me the hat and his equipment... I look forward to it ... where will we meet.

FredA
06-05-2001, 05:14 PM
I guess I qualify. The one near keeper I didn't get to measure and the picture suggest its a little short. Plus, I'm in a terrible slump.

Regards,
Fred A.

juro
06-05-2001, 05:58 PM
FredA (06-05-2001 06:14 p.m.):
I guess I qualify. The one near keeper I didn't get to measure and the picture suggest its a little short. Plus, I'm in a terrible slump.

Regards,
Fred A.

Yer' IN! Two more spots in my oversand sled...

juro
06-05-2001, 06:01 PM
striblue (06-05-2001 06:06 p.m.):
Please Mr. Juro.. I have never caught a keeper..can I come.. I am so nervious about this. What should bring? I have answered this post. My friend J. Morin let me use his handle to post this. He and I look alot alike... He will lend me the hat and his equipment... I look forward to it ... where will we meet.

If you know striblue well enough to use his handle you probably have more fish pictures on the wall than the aquarium! That's a lot - about half of what's hanging at the Chatham ANglers club ;-)

juro
06-05-2001, 06:21 PM
Just to clarify, this is all just for fun... but I think it would be amusing to try! I wanted to call it the virgin clave but then no one would sign up ;D

Please do not construe this to be anything more than a fun event.

When one breaks the mark, he/she cheers the rest on and helps in any way possible. This might involve prospecting around the area to see if there are fish in nearby spots that the 'still virgins' might choose to try.

Watch - we'll have the micro day of the millenia! Who cares, it will be fun and if we pulled it off it could be the start of a new peak season tradition!

MarkDoogue
06-05-2001, 06:23 PM
After spending part of the weekend with my three boys fishing and catching nothing, I guess I Qualify. I can honestly say I have never caught a keeper on a fly. No pressure to accomplish this Juro; good company and the learning experience is what I am looking for. Any weekend is open as of now. Lunch and beverages on me. J.D.

doogue
06-05-2001, 06:26 PM
Dad,

Did I miss the adoption ceremony this weekend? Is Jeff now a Doogue?

Just kidding!

Get me a picture of you with a big fat striper.

-Mike

juro
06-05-2001, 06:38 PM
OldDoogue (06-05-2001 07:23 p.m.):
After spending part of the weekend with my three boys fishing and catching nothing, I guess I Qualify. I can honestly say I have never caught a keeper on a fly. No pressure to accomplish this Juro; good company and the learning experience is what I am looking for. Any weekend is open as of now. Lunch and beverages on me. J.D.

Done! Glad I can do something to say thanks for your contributions at the Spring Clave.

Looking forward to it.

John Desjardins
06-05-2001, 08:44 PM
I hate to admit it but I qualify for this one as well.

striblue
06-05-2001, 08:52 PM
Oh well.. don't I get "A" for effort... I'm sorry, I could'nt help it. I feel so bad trying to be sneaky.

Lefty
06-05-2001, 09:09 PM
Just for the record, odd as it is, I have the hat, and do not have the keeper notch carved yet. No Juro, I personally do not hold that fish on Big Girl as being landed. And somehow , having caught 100 in the 25-28" range last year doesn't add up to one lousy keeper. If it's a day I can get away, and someone drops out I'll do it.

TerryW

striblue
06-05-2001, 09:34 PM
.Terry.. don't forget your contribution to CAC. I will go right next to Gregs E.'s reel.

Fishinimpossible
06-05-2001, 11:57 PM
Juro,
I hope I am wrong, but you are soooooo jinxed!!!!!

juro
06-06-2001, 06:33 AM
Fishinimpossible (06-06-2001 12:57 a.m.):
Juro,
I hope I am wrong, but you are soooooo jinxed!!!!!

LOL!!! Yes, I knew this even before posting but then again I've tested it three times and three times it has delivered when played right in the tide phase. It has the consistency of the Rip Trip but I fear it is a short seasonal opportunity. My wild-hair guess is that it will hold until mid-June. Fingers, toes, crossed. ;-)

Terry, John -

I am working on a possible way to expand out rider count, will reply a bit later on today.

Mattb
06-06-2001, 08:44 AM
(Un?)fortunately I don't qualify for this trip, but I will probably be on the cape this weekend, so Juro, if you wind up heading out to this 'honey hole' this weekend let me know. I don't really need a seat- i'll sit on the bumper or hang onto your trailer ball or something :);D

Matt

Dave
06-06-2001, 09:22 AM
Hi Juro,
I qualify and would love to go if the trip runs during Fathers day weekend.
Dave Williams

doug
06-06-2001, 11:20 AM
One of those spots better be mine.....
Someone's dog ate "your" hat!
Doug B.

bcasey
06-06-2001, 11:22 AM
HELP!, I too, am one of the hapless, in search of, legal wannabe, shamefull fisherman without his first legal on a fly, But, man am I trying.
I know I'm late at responding to this thread so, if anyone backs out, or you see the opportunity to try it again, well, I sure would like to stand along side my friends with my head held high.
Should I bring some protection? Condom, rubber gloves,shotgun..., I do need some direction, HELP

Juro, you are most definitly THE MAN, it's apparent that you do care about the membership, Thanks

Craig
06-06-2001, 11:45 AM
Juro,

I can make my truck available if that will help out. Let me know if I could take some people. Would I need to get a permit or something, if so how much and where would I get it?

Craig

Lefty
06-06-2001, 01:19 PM
striblue (06-05-2001 10:34 p.m.):
.Terry.. don't forget your contribution to CAC. I will go right next to Gregs E.'s reel.

John,
It's written in bold on my "to do" list for this summer. It's a matter of time for me.
See ya soon (I hope, cause that would mean I'm going fishing on the cape!)

TerryW

Lefty
06-06-2001, 02:10 PM
Oops. Ignore.

striblue
06-06-2001, 03:13 PM
Terry, let me know when your plans will take you to Chatham... be sure to call, etc.

Hawkeye
06-06-2001, 03:14 PM
Our batting average is certainly lower than Juro's but.... Mike and I would be happy to offer a seat on our boat to the first one in line on the wait list for our Saturday Monomoy area adventure. We are even toying with a Rip Trip.

juro
06-06-2001, 03:23 PM
Hawkeye (06-06-2001 04:14 p.m.):
Our batting average is certainly lower than Juro's but.... Mike and I would be happy to offer a seat on our boat to the first one in line on the wait list for our Saturday Monomoy area adventure. We are even toying with a Rip Trip.

Gregg -

I don't know about that! If I have been doing well it's because I have not been fishing in your 'wake' of sore mouthed fish ;D

I meant to get back to you on a suggestion... you should give the bayside a try... launch out of Sesuit Harbor (either side) and head to the east. You will see a rocky point, then another, then a creek mouth (at high tide), then another.

These are (a) two points at Quivett Neck, Quivett Creek, and Paine's Creek. Just beyond that is the 'blue hole', a 30 ft deep structure in the sand where the whole flat system guzzles out to the bay.

Lately the drop off along the flats has been loaded with bass and they run onto the flats with the flood tide. Those on shore need to retreat but those on boats can linger thru the melee.

It's a sweet deal, definitely something to do this time of year before the big fish head out to Billingsgate Shoal.

Something to consider...

Craig
06-06-2001, 04:09 PM
Hey Gregg:

You guys heading to the rip? I'd like to try and put my name in for that seat. But I understand if you are looking for a member that hasn't got a legal yet. I believe I would need a permit to take my truck to the honey hole, where Juro is going.

Craig

Hawkeye
06-06-2001, 04:47 PM
Craig,

We were looking to follow the spirit of Juro's enterprise but if we get no "virgin" takers the seat is yours. The Rip part of the day is not a sure thing - just a possibility.

Juro,

Looking at wind direction predictions I think we will try your suggestions on Sunday. That way both Saturday and Sunday we will be in the lee. If you'd like to reap some small benefit from sharing your info you're welcome to join us - actually that would be great for us since you could show us first hand. :)

juro
06-06-2001, 05:48 PM
I hope so that would be great, and thanks for the generous offer. Just to talk about it a little more -

As you take a right out of the harbor the beach on the right is called Cold Storage. Once you reach the first set of rocks there is a sand bar reaching east/northeast off that tip. When the tide is rishing the fish traverse this bar just like any Monomoy flat.

As you reach further out there is a trench where the Quivett basin guzzles out. Big fish hold in this vicinity when the tide moves, and sometimes they lay in the depression at slack.

These flats are really a series of giant ridge bars from Quivett to Paines with a lot of random structures in between. On the flood the fish rush through the most prominent channels and spread out over the flats. Fishing these entry routes can be amazing, and being on the right flat at the right time can have pods coming one after the other, flashing on sand eels, crabs, flounder fry and zig zagging as they hunt.

If you don't see a lot of fish, I hate to admit it but one of the techniques we use at high tide is to motor around slowly looking for fish off the bow. This time of year it will not be long before you find them scurrying out of the way. Set up a long quiet no motor drift back thru and you will score.

Once in a while you will see a large dark area the size of a cloud on the sand and say "it can't be all fish, no way" but you drift over and find that it is a mega pod of hundreds of resting stripers!

The flats to the east of the Robbins Hill access have really scuplted out well this winter and I have received reports that they are fishing extremely well on the mid-late flood.

I'll see if I can get the pass from the boss for extra time this weekend and if so I will do a quick tour of the bayside with you guys.

I would bet you will see the 'pros' out there this time of year...

Steve Moore must be all over the bayside right now if I figure right. Big fish are still onthe shallows and he knows these flats like nobody's business.

Gil Berke of Outermost Excursions will be fishing the bayside. He has a unique hatch dialed in that is happening right now on the bayside flats, sure to be an eye-opener. I will let him describe it, don't want to spout off any of his secrets on line.

Our friend Art Sawayer showed Roop and Terry how great the Barnstable / Sandy Neck area can be last year. Art is one of our generous sponsors and is has been a cape regular for a decades.

Anyway, all of our bayside-knowledgable sponsors are great sources of insight into the great bayside fishery this time of year, and IMHO it's even better in the fall. It's fun to figure it out but it's also fun to cut several years off the process of learning the area's merits by hooking up with a sponsor.

Yes, I am addicted to Monomoy, narcosed by Nauset, charmed by Chatham, and serenaded by Singing Beach, but the bayside absolutely rocks in May thru mid-June from a boat and then again when the bait is thick in the fall.

striblue
06-06-2001, 07:43 PM
I'll probably be around on Sunday so I will keep an eye on the board for the next two days... Brendan you going out?

FredA
06-07-2001, 06:35 AM
Juro and Hawkeye,
If you see a tall bearded guy out on the bar in front of Quivet Neck Sunday give a wave. I'm absolutely frustrated with the seeing and not catching in that area - and kinda obsessed with it. Sunday's am low will provide the opportunity to check out the changes to the subtle channels and bars and where to setup for the flood.

Fred A.

Eroach
06-07-2001, 12:08 PM
I would like to join you, what dates are we debating?

juro
06-07-2001, 05:28 PM
Already exceeded the three riders (twice over) - first annual Virgin Clave, part I, is now full. Thank you for your interest.

Keep your eyes open for Part II.

Juro

juro
06-07-2001, 05:29 PM
doug (06-06-2001 12:20 p.m.):
One of those spots better be mine.....
Someone's dog ate "your" hat!
Doug B.

Whoa... Doug, are you saying no hat??? Well, looks like there's an opening... ^_^

Hawkeye
06-08-2001, 06:54 AM
Looks like you're in Craig. I'll send you an e-mail.

bcasey
06-11-2001, 07:15 AM
Well guys, I'm happy to report that I no longer Qualify for the virgin clave. Juro called me thursday nite to talk about his plan, and I could not make the trip this past weekend since I had a guided trip planned for saturday. My guess, Juro is physic when he said that I might not be on the list after my trip, Right you are Juro.
We left Green Pond in Falmouth at 5am and headed to Wasque Shoals. The guide, Capt. Dave Peros, at the helm, my pal Eric Himmel and I. Once at the shoals, what started out as pretty flat stayed that way for most of the morning with the exception of the rip itself which formed up nicely after about an hour or so. A couple of drifts thru and we started to get some hits and several hookups, only to drop off the hook soon after. With bent barbs and the boat rocking thru the rip, once the fish turned towards the boat, the slightest drop in pressure on the rod and pop, there off. Well, not one to be discouraged easily, and with the calm instruction of a very understanding guide, we pressed on. As the current picked up, so did the fishing, and then the catching. Eric, with whom I enjoy constant trash talking, you would think we were Larry Bird amd Magic Johnson, excalimed that he "always lands the first fish of any trip he's on". Next thing I know, I'm all tangled up and he hooks up. Then, pop, he looses it. Whew. Then bang, I'm on, and determined as all hell to land this one. Yup, about 32" and in the boat. My first legal on a fly. Quick release, high fives all around, and back at it.
No longer do I qualify for Juros quest at the virgin clave, I'm thinking, Maybe if I keep it a secret, I could still find out where the honey hole is and... NAW, can't do it.
Next, it's Eric's turn to land a legal, another 32", no skunk in this boat.
As the morning went on we are seeing more fish in the rip, lots of followers, change flies to Dave's secret weapon, and Bang again,My turn, This time, a larger fish, he's hugging the bottom after a short run and he's not moving, I've got plenty of pressure on him and nothing, and then after what seemed like a half an hour, ok so maybe it was only 30 seconds, up he starts, when in site, WOW great fish, in the boat, 36" a couple of quick pics, and back in to be caught again some day.
Eric boats another legal and then things slow down.
We went over to middle ground about 1-1:30, nothing, and the before heading for the dock we stopped at one of Daves special spots, sighted a couple of good size fish, but they were not hungry and we needed to get back, so off we went.
I've got to thank Dave and give a high reccommendation, He showed us tons of fish and also a couple of spots that, although I've fished this area for several years, I never knew were there, Thanks Dave.

juro
06-12-2001, 09:25 AM
Congrats Brian! Sounds like an awesome day w/ Dave Peros.

So just to close the loop on this venture, the Honey Hole shut down Friday night and we got there Sunday AM. As incredible as it was it coudn't last forever, and I knew that but the timing was classic angling - "you should've been there". There were still a few rooting up the bottom but compared to the past couple weeks it was a bit anti-climatic. If we had only held this a few days earlier it would have been a direct hit.

Jim Doogue did break the legal mark with his first fish, and lost one that topped that one. Fred broke the ice with a nice fish and I scrounged up a few using a new retrieve I call "roadkill retrieve". That will give you an idea of how down and dirty these fish were.

D - That was *not* the cape venue I had hoped for, as Harry must have conveyed to you. Keep the faith I would like to reschedule another outing.

So on some of us went to Monomoy. I chugged a red bull Jim handed me and chowed down a couple more gourmet sandwiches and soon we were pacing on the refuge landing like expecting fathers. Keith was running around and the minutes we waited seemed like an eternity as the tide was flooding. The wind was up but so were we, and the Rip Ryder couldn't come over the horizon fast enough.

We scooted over to SB and no sooner had I gotten out of the boat, I saw a lone single legal fish. I stripped out line but it was too late, the fish was down the flat. I wlked to the crossover lane for the fish and waited another minute or two before things got more interesting.

Looking to the left another pod came through and Jim got positioned up the flat. I led the pod, paused and applied the panic strip and >WHUMP< fish on! Keith and his mom looked over, smiling. They hadn't got the screws back in the water yet.

Jim and I set up shop and a large lone single came thru. It looked like it might jam me but I played dock piling and it stayed 20-30 ft off. I waited and held the cast to a good length as it landed softly and ahead of the fish's track line. It sank, and as I started the tease the fish rifled the fly with a subtle flash and I was fast to a 33", bright, skinny water legal sight caught fish. After a brutal fight Fred came over and took a snapshot or two and it was free to leave. It cruised back into it's vector like it never lost track of it's whereabouts.

Soon Jim was into yet another big submarine striper, this time the fish won. Fred had his first success sighting and hooking big fish on the flat too, although the knot gave out. Terry had a terrific position on the flat and hooked up even though the pods were smaller and fewer on the late part of the tide. Ran into Brian Zinc, who had amazing tales of numerous cows on the flats and Adrian, who had spent a stellar day in striper country as well.

We finished up at Chatham, where Terry landed a nice fish right off the bat. I followed suit with a few fat blondie school fish and a good sized blue that miraculously did not bite thru. Jim topped it off for good measure with another just under bass and it was time to think about dealing with traffic and returning to the 'other' world.

All in all a good day of fishing and the catching wasn't bad. Sorry if I lured anyone into long drives at insane times of the night for a situational fishery that had expired. I meant well anyway ;-)

FredA
06-12-2001, 10:46 AM
'Twas a great day of fishing even if the catching was sparse although I was hooking up with starfish on every cast for awhile.

It was good to get a feel for the over the sand drill and especially nice to finally have some measure of success with the sight fishing. All in all another great day on the water. And the sandwiches were great Jim.

Thanks again Juro.

Fred A.

MarkDoogue
06-12-2001, 04:15 PM
Guess I drew the lucky hand at the Virgin Clave Sunday and I do mean lucky. Being relatively new at this, it wasn't hard to out cast or out fish my efforts. I got tired pretty quickly and presented the fish with what Juro described as a "road kill" drift. There be the source of my luck and another lesson learned. Only the week before Juro, Jeff, and Mike hammered the fish with (as Mike described it) as fast a strip as they could manage. I did the same Sunday with no success until I took a break from stripping and started catching fish. If the amount of effort given could have determined the outcome, then Doug, Terry, and Fred would have been far more successful than I was. All said and done it was a banner day with great company. Thanks Juro for making it so. J.D>

Lefty
06-12-2001, 06:49 PM
Sorry bout the late post, just got in from Trout fishing in Western Ma. (no I don't fish for a living, I'm housebound with kids usually, but my wife had a conference in Springfield and I freeloaded at the hotel).

So for the Cape:
Oh well, sometimes it's off. At least I got a few goodies out of the day. The 4 wheel drive trip on Nauset was awesome. And I finally made it to South (Beach?) Monomoy. 2 new places on cape for me.
Highlight: A pack of striped monsters comes cruising by me 6 ft. away on the flats. By the time I cast they are 20..30 feet past, bang my cast lands to the front and side of them about 8 feet off. One breaks off from the pack swims over and bang I'm on. What a cool thing. Long distance released him. Didn't matter, it was the take. Not a keeper.
Hey Juro, do I get a reward for the most back casts in one day?
Thanks again guys for having me along, nice to meet you Fred and Jim.

Question: Any sight fishing on Joppa? Seriously.

Terry

juro
06-12-2001, 06:57 PM
LOL - that's what happens when you hang out with a bunch of righties ;-)

Yes, not only did you end up backcasting all day but I noticed you added a ton of distance to your backcast over the course of the day. That will translate to more clout in your forward cast when the wind is blowing in your favor next time, at least with the intermediate line anyway. We'll be facing the dunes then!

I agree it might not have been the best catching day for all of us but it was a good fishing day overall. I enjoyed it immensely.

doug
06-12-2001, 07:00 PM
Juro,
Thanks for the scenic tour! :) The place looked awesome.
It was a pleasure to meet Jim...and see Fred and Terry again.
I struggled all morning casting and got quite frustrated.
Sorry guys....once I sprung a leak in the waders, I became somewhat miserable company.
Atleast I got the waders replaced without a hassle!
Best of luck to all of you.
Doug B.

juro
06-12-2001, 07:18 PM
Not at all Doug, it was a pleasure fishing with you. I hope you will take me up on the offer to continue the quest, in fact I will continue the quest until the mission is accomplished! There were and a-w-f-u-l lot of big bass on the flats last weekend.... dOh there I go again! ;D

Seriously, I will email.