Swift River [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Swift River

jared
08-28-2002, 04:16 PM
I'd forgotten how much fun it is to fish w/ 24's & 26's on 8 & 9x....river was VERY crowded (especially for mid-week) but enjoyed myself thoroughly.

-j

John Desjardins
08-29-2002, 09:18 AM
Jared, any clues on patterns? Im planning on being there tomorrow am.

pmflyfisher
08-29-2002, 11:18 AM
John,

I got skunked there in 1977 while taking my new bride on New England foliage trip in early October. So I will be of no help to you. I guess my mind was on other things then, being newly married that spring ! :D Did meet Dick Surette at his fly shop in Conway though, I guess that was the highlight of my one brief Swift River encounter. Never got back there again.

Good Luck, looked it would be a nice stream. Water was low and very clearywhen I was there as I remember.

My guess would be very small caddis, black ant, Adams. Thats what I start with in a late summer unfamiliar river fishing scenarios

Hal

jared
08-29-2002, 11:26 AM
John --

nothing specific...typical Swift river pattern for this time of year. If you get a second or 3rd refusal, either find another fish or switch flies. You're likely to get into a lot of knot tying practice! Loads of little brookies. A few rainbows that are already on redds (which seems early).

-j

Dble Haul
08-29-2002, 11:27 AM
Hal, I'm pretty sure that these guys are talking about the Swift River in MA, not the smaller one with wild brookies in NH.

Too many rivers with the same name.....:rolleyes:

John Desjardins
08-29-2002, 11:42 AM
Thanks Jared, Thats pretty much what I expected to be using. With the rain today, tomorrow may be a good day for the terrestrials.

Hal, thanks, the patterns you mentioned are on my short list of must have flies as well.

Funny you should mention Dick Surrette. I met him years ago on the Saco in Conway. Nice guy, I think of him everytime I see his book of fly patterns.

pmflyfisher
08-29-2002, 12:43 PM
John,

Yes that is where I was and his book of fly patterns was what I started to learn to tie flies with in 1980. Great little book you can still get.

My wife mistakenly threw mine out years ago, thought it was one of my regular fishing magazine cluttering her house I guess. :chuckle:

Good luck and have a good holiday !

Hal