Fly Fishing Forum banner

Beginner Rod Advice?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  NrthFrk16 
#1 ·
I just started into the wonderful world of flyfishing this year. I have only been on two trips so far, one to Montana and one to the South fork of the Salmon in Idaho. On my Idaho trip I used a friends dads sage discovery 590 rod with a sage reel. I liked the action of the rod but having nothing to compare it with I am not sure how it would truly compare to other rods. On my Idaho trip my Uncle and I went on a guided day trip and the guide supplied us with Orvis Silverlabel rods and large arbor reels. It seemed like the Silverlabel rod was a little faster and I liked it a little better. Am I just imagining this? Anyway, I am looking for a beginner to intermediate rod and reel setup (9ft 5 or 6 weight)for between $200 and $300 is this Possible? any suggestions would be great. Fly fishing is really fun but expensive. Thanks for the input.

#2 ·
you`ll never get a Orvis or Sage in that range, but one rod that I was very pleased with was the Temple Forks, thier rods come in 2 and 4 piece models, the four piece has a faster action, the two piece is a moderate/fast. The price is less than $150. After casting them at this winters shows I liked them so much that I bought 2.
Slinger

#8 ·
Eddie said:
Sage will be introducing a line of rods for under $200. I haven't cast them.
Eddie, et al.-
I had a chance to throw the #5 and the #8. They will run $160-$190 and are very nicely finished. And they are a wonderful casting rod...they are called the Light Edition and seem to be lighter in the hand then the DS2 and as nice a caster.

Very very pleased with these rods...to some they are too nice and may very well cut into the sales of the DS2.

Netwolf...this would be the rod to go with if you want to stay under $200. Awesome rods!!!!

Should hit the markets within the next couple months...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.