Narragansett 8/13 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Narragansett 8/13

GregD
08-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Like many of the FFF members I have been away from the computers for quite awhile on vacations. I thought I'd post this old report anyway, especially after Roops observations about reports or lack there of.

Josh and I headed down and arrived in time for the parking lots to be opened up without charge after the beach crowd (6pm). Josh surfed around on his boogie board while I fished. It was a S-SE wind and the Tide was almost at low and still outgoing, lots of weeds and some scattered bait. Found some fish in the usual spots, But was having difficulty getting anything to hit my first attempt at a shrimp fly, due to weeds on almost every retrieve. A weedless style fly would have been the ticket, But didn't have any.

After an hour or so the tide turned around and started coming in. Weeds cleared out in spots
giving me a better shot at getting something other than weeds. I worked the rips and first
wave area as they hadn't moved into the troughs yet. In one rip I had a school of silversides
form at my feet. I was beginning to think my shrimp wasn't the fly to have right then and
should switch over to a silverside.

After letting the fly land behind me on the backcast on the side of an adjacent rip, I finally hooked something other than a weed. It turned out to be a 25inch striper, nice fish to hookup with. Josh and some folks around the area came right over to see it, some very surprized at the size of the fish at their feet. I turned him lose, and started to fish again as conditions were just what I prefer there.

Unfortunately Josh was getting hungry and cold, so I packed it up just before prime time to
take care of the little guy. It was alittle easier to leave after getting a fish even though I was only there an hour and a 45 minutes.

Oh well I proved to myself I can consistantly find fish there. Not only is it a great beach for little kids it fishes very well to me.

Tight lines,
Greg.

striblue
08-21-2002, 12:04 AM
Good to hear from you Greg...I was wondering where you were and I am glad to see you were with your number 1 fishing buddy.

GregD
08-21-2002, 12:37 AM
Hi John,

Good to be back, Thanks...

Actually my number one fishin buddy Brandon decided he never wanted to fish with me again for awhile. The weeks vacation with Mom seems to have had something to do with that. I'm not productive enough and it's to far a ride each way according to her. Or he's simply burned out and it was coincidental with their vacation, who knows. But I don't think you'll see Brandon out with me for awhile.

Maybe she is right, with the average trip being 2 hours each way, and he is only 7yrs old. It makes for a long day, especially when the fishing is tough and there is little time. But I hope I can get him out again, especially for the migration again. He knows what it's like to be in a bunch of fish and catching them for hours as well as not catching any all day.

But Josh being only 3yrs old loves the ocean and didn't mind beachin it while Dad fished.

I think Brandon will be out fishing again with Dad at least I hope so.

Greg.

FishHawk
08-21-2002, 05:52 AM
Greg take him out panfishing. Lots of action and you'll get a fisherman for life. When my kids were young their attention span was short , so I did the panfish thing and even though they do not fish they still talk about the outings. Fishhawk

GregD
08-21-2002, 10:04 AM
FishHawk - The panfish thing is a good idea. I do think he's alittle spoiled now though as he's not to impressed by panfish anymore. He still talks about catching schoolies in the 18-24 inch range all day at barnstable harbor. Maybe I need to take him back for some schoolies to recharge his interest for awhile. I have been getting out so infrequently that we haven't been back there this year, perhaps it's time to go again.

Thanks,
Greg.

juro
08-21-2002, 10:47 AM
My kids' interest changes like the tides - interested one moment and not the next. I think over the long run every minute you spend with them on the water is meaningful in the great scheme of life. I am confident that as my son grows into adulthood he will put aside more time to enjoy the raw beauty of the sea or stream with me. He's genuinely interested already but the competition with other "influences" right now is hard to beat.

Case, Jimmy - I have to thank you guys for that great outing out on Brewster Flats a couple of weekends ago. My son and his buddy sure had a great day catching those fat stripers on the fly. It was a day to remember!

Greg, there is no way that little firecracker is going to lose his interest in fishing! He might be more entertained by other things for decades but that boy will grow to be a fisherman sure as the sky is blue.

GregD
08-22-2002, 09:39 AM
Juro - I'm sure your'e right, he'll be fishin again soon. After FishHawk's suggestion I mentioned going to Barnstable Harbor to catch schoolies and he's ready to go. :D

I would love to see him catch a Tuna this year. Hopefully at the hardtail clave in RI.

Greg.