Flying out of Vancouver [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flying out of Vancouver

jared
08-20-2002, 09:46 AM
Flew back from Vancouver on Sunday...Fly reels were grabbed by security. Apparently I might use the fly lines as weapon.
:eyecrazy:

They survived the trip in the materials they provided, but just thought I'd warn folks that they might want to consider their carry-on selections accordingly.

--jared

striblue
08-20-2002, 10:09 AM
Same question...what was the materials they supplied and did you carry on or have the reels in the main luggage.?

jared
08-20-2002, 11:38 AM
they were going to wrap them in plastic bags and box them...I insisted on a double-box and they went in the cargo hold....

beau purvis
08-20-2002, 11:58 AM
i had the same experience last winter flying from vancouver to campbell river. would not let me carry on fly reels. beau

jared
08-20-2002, 12:00 PM
Beau --

I take it you didn't fly w/ pacific coastal....they didn't check a thing!

--j

beau purvis
08-20-2002, 03:11 PM
they did not check anything when i checked in to the airline but a guy at the check in to the gates stopped my reel when he checked my carry on. he did let me carryon my spey rod tube. on the way back they would not let the rod thru but let the reels thru. did not seem to be too consistent. suprised they let me wear a belt on the flight.i uaually always carry on my reel. that was first time i was stopped. however i believe someone in the states stopped me once. i must have asked them at check in because i dont remember any scramble to figure out how to get it on the plane.i must have been tired dont remember much about that time.
beau.