Found my new Home Waters [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Found my new Home Waters

Stone
08-19-2002, 11:17 PM
Hildreth Dam has been a sight of most of my Brook trout action this year, and has wielded a nice milestone yet again.

I just got my new lines and went down to the dam armed with two rods. My standard Orvis 8'6" 5WT Clearwater rigged with dry line and a new floating nymph I made, (see archive) and my old glass rod from my grandfather with my new shooting head taper 6WT wet line. (444 Courtland, I love it), my waders and my first pair of polarized sunglasses.

The $ I dropped on those ugly glasses (fitovers, man I am not even 22, and I look like my grandpa in these things!!!:eek: :hehe: ) turned out to be a great investment. First thing that caught my eye was a half dozen or so brookies just past my feet munching on nymphs in about 3-4' of water.

I didn't spook them on my way down the trail, which surprised me, so I took advantage of that new nymph. I scouted the fish and looked for the largest one, who also happened to be gorging himself on bug after bug. A close, and accurate, cast (only about 9' away from my feet) and I got it right in front of his nose, no sooner did I get the fly down than he struck it! Wham, my first fish caught while sight fishing.

He was tiny (see the attached image) but man, that is what fishing is all about. GOD DO I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!!

juro
08-20-2002, 08:04 AM
I get it, you're trying to see if we're paying attention... that's a juvie bronzeback in the pic!

pmflyfisher
08-20-2002, 02:57 PM
Yep, I think it is a juvenile small mouth does not look like a brookie.

Stone
08-21-2002, 12:15 AM
:chuckle:

Anyway, I am going back there on sunday early AM to catch the OTHER type of brookie on the early AM feeding. (plan on being out on the water by 5:00 AM.)

If anyone is interested let me know and I can give more specific driving instructions.

The easy version is this:

Exit 26 off Route 93 in NH

Follow 25 until it connects to 118. Keep following it until 118 goes off to the right, leaving you still on 25. It is less than a mile past the turnoff for 118 on your right.